Tricks for adding chlorine?

werd98

Feb 7, 2012
San Jose, CA
I was surprised to read (and experience!) how much chlorine our 7x7 spa (attached to the pool) can consume, especially with lots of toddlers in it! So, I'm going to try to keep the chlorine level a fair bit higher than the rest of the pool when we're going to be using it a lot.

How do you guys add chlorine every hour, especially when people are using it all day? Scenarios:

1) People are around it, and freak out when they see you do anything with the pool
- I don't really care too much about this, but I've tried to be sneakier about testing and especially adjusting levels.

2) Adding chlorine while using the hot tub
- Right now, I just say "everyone out for 30 seconds", turn the jets on, and pour in a good dash of 10% chlorine. I wish I could just throw a floating tab dispenser in there, but I really like my pool CYA low (it's around 15 now) since I have a pool cover, and the kids would bat it around a bunch.

Spilling Over (pumping cold but chlorinated pool water into the hot tub) would maybe work too, but the spa temperature would drop.

What do you guys do?

cf. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/9670-How-do-I-use-Chlorine-in-my-Spa-(or-pool)

Is your spa CYA at 15 also? IF so that is a big part of it. With the low CYA, high temps, uncovered, lots of sun, smaller amount of water, and frequent use, that is probably just how it will be.

Living in CA, I'm surprised you don't have the same problem with chlorine not lasting in your pool given your CYA reading, unless it's covered a lot of the time.

I solve this by slightly 'cracking' the suction side... In other words, let's say you have it in full spa mode. So all water is being pulled from the spa and returned to the spa.

I can adjust my valve to allow a very tiny amount of suction to come from the pool. Obviously all returning to the spa.
This will create the slightest of waterfalls... This allows you to constantly (and very slowly) get 'fresh' pool water into the spa. It should be slow enough where you don't really notice a difference in temperature. It also obviously helps with refilling the tub from water displacement.

I dont usually do this unless the spa is getting extremely high use. If its just moderate use, I leave it on spa mode and when people get out for a bit, I run it in spillover mode for a few minutes to get fresher water into it...

Also, at times I still use a puck chlorinator. But when I have it in spa mode, I turn it off or set it extremely low because the FC levels can get extremely high very quickly. Im not sure how a SWG would handle that aspect. You are no longer trying to chlorinate 20,000 gallons of water, but a few hundred :)

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.