New Pool Owner In need of Serious HELP.

Let me get this straight, he saw that the water was 6 inches higher on one side than the other and said it's fine? People drain and refill for being 2 inches off level, let alone 6!

When, not if, 6000 gallons of water bursts through the high side, where's it going to go? What will it damage? What if someone's in the pool when it happens?

The cost of 6000 gallons and a day of properly leveling the ground is FAR less than the potential legal liability and injuries that could occur.

After waking up this morning and seeing that a few of the legs were starting to lean, and finding out from the water company that it's only costing me $30 to fill up the pool, I've decided to drain the pool, level it out refill it and just start over. Rather be safe than sorry in the long run. And I'm probably spending less to refill it than I would have on 6 boxes of Borax which is a plus because I really wasn't comfortable using all that Borax in the first place. I'm definitely going to start a notebook to keep track of everything I do to the pool from now on to avoid situations like these. Geared now with everything I know, starting over should be pretty easy. Thank you everyone for all your help!

- - - Updated - - -

And I was given a recommendation of getting a sand filter eventually, is that a pretty good idea?

Any filter type (adequately sized) will do the job of keeping a clean pool.

The Intex cartridges and just very small and do not work well. The Intex sand with larger pump is a good upgrade, but not required.

Ok, thanks, probably won't change pumps till next year anyway, it's only going to me, my husband and son using it so I'm not to worried about upgrading it. But I'd like it to last as long as possible and be as efficient and clean as possible so, someday!!

That reminds me years ago we setup a 15' Intex pool that came with a small pump that wasn't much bigger than the size of the cartridge. After running the filter 2 days straight the water was still cloudy so I went down to a pool store and bought a $400 sand filter which I'm sure was overkill. Hooked it up and ran all night. The next morning the water was crystal clear.

So we drained the pool on Thursday, and I reread the entirety of pool school while I was waiting! We worked all night last night leveling it out, and have had the hose in there, filling it up all night. It's got about another foot to go till it's full. It had been sitting with that unbalanced unchlorinated water for a week before we drained it, then the liner sat on the side of the yard for 24 hours. I wanted to wash the liner before we stated refilling it but it wasn't really an option at midnight, so while I'm waiting for this last bit too fill I have some questions. Once it finishes filling I'm going to test everything, I was just gonna test the pH and TA for now because I know there is no FC or CYA in the pool. Those readings should be higher than there supposed to but I'm not sure considering I used strips last time. I'm going to put the readings into pool math and see how much MA I'm going to need to add. I was planning on not putting the full amount but half of it, testing again and then pouring the other half. How long after I add the MA can I wait to test and possibly add more?

Post up your test results. 30 minutes of circulation should be enough to recheck the pH. You want to get CYA dissolving soon and should add bleach add well to maintain some FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My next question was gonna be, after I get it balanced should I SLAM it since it was sitting for a week and sat for a day in the sun empty with a little water in the bottom? Also, how quickly does the chlorine tabs, add CYA, is it possible for me to just use those to get the CYA where it should be then take it out and maintain with liquid chlorine?

Ok test results are:
FC: 0 haven't added yet
pH: +8 was darker purple than 8 on the test bottle
TA: 50
CYA: 0 havent added yet.

Pool math says add 9oz MA to reduce pH add 70oz baking soda to raise TA.
I am going to add 9oz of MA then let the filter run while I'm doing some running around. Should I wait to retest PH before I add baking soda?

Would be best to add stabilizer in a sock. At least 20ppm and then you could use tablets if you already have them.

It is a mostly fresh fill, get some CYA in and then you can raise to SLAM level and do the OCLT to make sure nothing is in the water from starting over.

While I was out I had my water tested at leslies, just to double check what I got. I just got home and retested, here's my results:
FC: 0 haven't had a chance to add any yet
pH: 7.4
TA: 40
CH: 120
CYA: 20 (haven't added anything so not sure how that came up, but my test and Leslies came up with 20?)
Leslies also checked for Copper and it was at .6 and they checkes Phosphates and it was at 200.
Pool math said add 4.3oz MA, 107oz Baking soda, 16oz stabalizer, 95oz liquid chlorine and 4lb calcium chloride.

- - - Updated - - -

What of these if any can I add all at once?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.