Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low Calcium Hardness and high Total Alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

Low Calcium Hardness and high Total Alkalinity

Hi Guys:

This continues a previous post about pool shock and your advice to get a real test kit. I got the TF-100 and had a lot of fun with it over the weekend.

Here are my numbers:
    FC: 5
    CC: 0
    TC: 5
    pH 7.5
    TA: 180
    CH: 40
    CYA: 40

So here are my questions:

Should I do anything about the high TA? I read somewhere on the boards that you should not, unless there is a specific problem, but I'd still appreciate some guidance.

Since my pool is vinyl-lined, and I am used to soft water showers, should I bother raising the CH?

Thanks.
    Jake

24' Round Vinyl-lined AG, 14K Gal., Hayward Xstream 1500 Cartridge filter w/ powerflow Matrix pump, Hayward H200 Heater, plus one ribbit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low Calcium Hardness and high Total Alkalinity

How is your pH reading varying over time ? do you have to add a lot of acid ?
    16,000 G in ground Gunnite (plastered) with attached Spa, Gemini 3 NG Heater, Sta-rite cartridge filter, Aquabot Mark V, TF test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have never needed to lower pH, but I have had to raise it a bit. It got as low as 7.1 or 7.2. The reason my TA went so high is that I was using Baking Soda to raise pH.
    Jake

24' Round Vinyl-lined AG, 14K Gal., Hayward Xstream 1500 Cartridge filter w/ powerflow Matrix pump, Hayward H200 Heater, plus one ribbit

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like things are fine the way they are, so I would leave it alone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you!
    Jake