Wanda the Whale and a Leaf Canister Questions

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
So we are still in the process of getting our 33' AGP filled for the first time. We have been hauling in loads of water 550 gallons at a time.

We are about 4" or 5" below the skimmer intake and we decided to go ahead and install the skimmer. We had a temporary intake and return set up so we could start filtering our water. We were supposed to get a bunch of rain last night and we were hoping it would be enough to bring the pool water level up considerably.....no such luck. We will be hauling more water in the next couple of days.

We would like to get the Wanda the Whale pool critter hooked up and running if we can since we had to dismantle the temporary pick up line we had feeding the sand filter. We want to keep the water circulating and get it clean ASAP. We also have something that looks similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Navigator-STANDARD-CANISTER-W560/dp/B000EW6EGI/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_img_y

So, my questions are as follows:

1) can we hook up Wanda to the leaf canister that will be installed in the skimmer without the water level being up to the skimmer???? We are thinking that the water will draw up through Wanda then through the leaf canister and to the pump and filter. So would Wanda pick up enough water to keep the pump happy.

2) will Wanda be able to go in and out of the deep end of our pool? It is a gradual slope, not a sharp cliff.

3) how do I know if Wanda is in good working condition before I put her in the pool? What do I need to be looking for? I, obviously, don't want her to damage our liner.

What else do I need to know? We just feel like we are dead in the water (pardon the pun) as far as getting the water cleaned up.

THANKS for the help!!!

I doubt you'll be able to get enough suction without having the end of the hose covered with water in the skimmer---only one way to find out! No suction......turn it off!

Just make sure the little "feet" are on Wanda properly. Wanda is only designed for flat bottom pools I think. Got enough hose?

We have the Ladybug version (same Hayward vac) of Wanda the Whale and a deep center dished out to 6 feet. I gave up on the Ladybug because it would only do the same parts of the pool over and over and would almost immediately go to the dished out center and stay there. Even though I read reviews that people claimed it could handle the climb out of the deep area, it really doesn't. A neighbor of mine had the same issue. You might want to look for a vac with a little more power - or do as I do now and hand vacuum it. It is relaxing and since I keep a solar cover on it doesn't get that dirty.

THANKS for the responses. Looks like Wanda has all four of her feet on. I think we are going to give her a swim tomorrow. We did manage to get more water in and we are using the skimmer. :party: Pump has been running since about 7pm tonight. Will let it run overnight then give Wanda a try when we are out in the yard tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the help and input. The support on this site is unbelievable.

If you have a leaf canister I would use it. I have a Diver Dave and use a Hayward Large capacity Leaf canister. He can usually do the whole pool without having to dump the canister. When I ran him without the canister I was always having to shut the pump off and dump the leaf basket on the pump. Make sure to get ALL of the air out of Wanda and all of her hoses. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Update - we have our water level up to the correct level. Our pump and filter have been running for a couple of weeks now. We have tried Wanda a couple of times and I just don't think she is working correctly. I have found an owner's manual for her and everything appears to be in place except for the little cone that fits in the skimmer bottom (it was here at one time and now it is gone). I think I have just answered my own question. I remember seeing it and I thought it was just a regular shaped cone. The hose fits in the skimmer bottom just fine, but wouldn't allow any extra water in other then what was coming from Wanda and her hose system. I went and looked at the cone and now I see that it is double walled and probably allows water to the pump from the skimmer as well as the water from the hose connected to Wanda.

The pump was losing prime after a while. Wanda's feet would stop walking after a while. I wonder if Wanda wasn't moving as fast as usual because the pump was being starved of water. I bet Wanda will move a little faster and be more efficient with this little adapter.

Also, does the leaf skimmer just go in-line somewhere? Does it matter where it is placed in the hose? Close to Wanda or close to the skimmer or where ever?

THANKS for the help!!!

Stopped by the local pool store this morning for the missing piece, the little cone that attaches the hose to the bottom of the skimmer. It is not double walled like I thought it would be. So now I am stumped.

The only water that can get to the pump and filter when Wanda is hooked up is what is going through Wanda and her hoses????

My issue is that after Wanda is hooked up for 15-20 minutes then the pump loses prime and Wanda's feet stop. How do I check for holes in the hoses? That is the only thing I can think of. I take great care to make sure the hoses are full of water when I start it.

Any suggestions for what the issue could be? I am prepared to tear her down and disect her but I have no idea what I am looking for. I tried finding a You Tube video but I have limited internet access and we are having storms roll through today which makes me lose internet (satellite based).

Any suggestions?

I had this problem also with my Diver Dave. My pump wanted more water than Diver Dave would allow to pass through. I ended up adding a second suction point with a ball valve so I could adjust how much was going through the skimmer(diver dave) and how much was coming from the secondary suction. To get Diver dave to work properly I only put 80%-85% on Diver Dave and the other 15%-20% through the secondary suction.
I really needed this second suction point because my skimmer alone would starve the pump. I guess you have to find your balance with the pump you have. I do like setting diver Dave to work and have the pump cleaning the bottom while I am circulating my pool. My skimmer will clean a whole days worth of leaves and **** off of the top in less than 30 minutes, so the rest of the 3-4 hour pump time can be cleaning the floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.