Converting from SWG to Chlorine pool?

JohnH

May 28, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
I'm trying to convince my friend to take his green pool to a higher level, TFPC method!

He has a SWG, but it's inoperable. He is trying to operate the pool by chlorine, advise by Leslie's Pool. I want to get your advice before he ask me to help him.

Thanks,
John

Switching from a SWG to chlorine is very easy. Cleaning up the green will be a bit more work.

The first thing is to get a complete set of water test results so we know what we are working with.

One little warning, trying to help out friends with their pool doesn't always work out. There is nothing you can really do about that, just be aware it is a possibility.

OK here we go! I do mean we, need your help.

Today took pictures and chemical readings. I need to find my notes on how to load pictures again, its been awhile.:confused:

DATE: 7 JUN
TIME: 1830
POOL TEMP: 85

FC: .5
CC: 1.5
PH: 7.1
TA: 100
CH: 360
CYA 100 - 125 (could be more)

No longer he is using swg, it looks like he had it removed. He got tired of replacing salt water cells? He said that he thinks his chlorine dispenser is not working, but when I ran the system it was feeling up with water? He uses a large toy duck in the pool that you fill up with pucks (never saw that one coming):D

Oh, he also has a vacuum (suction) cleaner, not sure how that works. I will so some home work on loading pictures, after dinner.

Thanks, John

You are a heck of a friend!

I would recommend against doing a water change without his knowledge, especially if it's city water. Getting that CYA down to at least half that would be a really good idea though. If you really want to SLAM it for him I would treat it like 130 CYA, which means 51 FC level. That's a lot of bleach for something that will just turn green again if he doesn't change his habits...

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g439/hooksbbq/Dawson Pool/DawsonPool015_zps603c69c2.jpg

Pump station. I labeled direction of flow to help me out, also where the flow is coming from.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g439/hooksbbq/Dawson%20Pool/DawsonPool013_zpsf4efd5ef.jpg

Can't figure this right valve out. The left valve I found out its the two skimmers. It must be from the main drains, but why have two lines, also I think he has it off.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g439/hooksbbq/Dawson%20Pool/DawsonPool013_zpsf4efd5ef.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, been awhile since I posted pictures. Using photobucket. Any help?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DawsonPool013_zpsf4efd5ef.jpg

I'm not sure what the valve does on the left, I think these two lines come from the main drain.

- - - Updated - - -

DawsonPool005_zpsf482815a.jpg

Cleaner, not sure where this is tide in to pump house.

- - - Updated - - -

DawsonPool004_zps07304bfa.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DawsonPool002_zpsad7fefc0.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DawsonPool016_zpsd65eae6c.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DawsonPool015_zps603c69c2.jpg

Thanks, Jason. Now I have in puted some pictures, what do you think?

Jason, correct me if I'm wrong.

1) start draining. Probably 3/4 of the pool.

2) fill pool back up

3) use bleach or liquid chlorine
note: I have granular shock, would that do it? if not, what should I use Liquid or bleach?

4) run pump 24/7 and brush daily.
note: this is the timer, not sure how to set up run all the time. I went to manual on, and it shut off?
DawsonPool017_zpsdc5dbf0c.jpg

Note: when do I add CYA?
Do I have to go in pool and scrub algae and stains while pool is empty, I hope not?

You have 3 suction lines that are likely the skimmer, the floor, and the suction cleaner port on the side of the pool.

Liquid chlorine and bleach are the same ingredient, different strengths. You should stick with them as the granules have side effects.

Was your original CYA test of "100 to 125 maybe more" done using the diluted test method for testing over 100?

AS far as steps...I would think it should be more like,

1. Drain & refill
2 Retest CYA

I cannot comment on if a 3/4 drain is too much or not and why are you asking when to add cya? Your draining and filling to lower CYA....adding more should be the least of your concerns unless you drain too much water. Doing the diluted water test for CYA will give a good idea where the CYA will be after you drain a certain amount.

OK, after 30 hrs draining this pool 75%, I am ready to fill it up.
DSC_0018_zpsb6e1d877.jpg

I have some questions about his pump house, with pictures.
In normal configuration the skimmer valve should be open, which it shows. Main drain valve should be open, which makes the suction cleaner close, which it shows. Is that the correct config. for normal?
DSC_0021_zpsd9ed59d4.jpg

I think he is missing an extra valve here going back to the returns. The reason that I say this, is because I tried to drain this pool with his main pump going to the front yard with that valve far Right being open. But nothing came out at the exit port near the front. Either that line is clogged or most of this water was going back to the pool at the returns, because no valve to shut that off. Interesting!
DSC_0020_zps47206e1a.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.