New Radiant Metric pool in progress

Apr 18, 2014
CT
Hi all,

A few of you may remember my story of how our King George pool collapsed:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72842-New-member-wondering-about-AGP-warranties

So the new pool is moving along. I've come to the conclusion (after reading here and in some AGP installation instruction manuals) - not necessarily right, but it's my belief that the old pool failed due to poor installation. The company that put in the old pool (now out of business) never dug down to the lowest spot, so at the low end, they used gravel to support concrete blocks. Over the 5 years, the pool definitely settled to that side (I could see the water line off level at the top) ... that's a red flag from now on ! If it happens again, I'll drain the pool and fix it !

Our excavator talked with Chuck from Radiant Pools in person (nice people out at Radiant). They still highly recommended that the pool be set on undisturbed soil, but we're doing things a little differently. When we dug down to the lowest point, we were actually about 8" below the old pool (partly because the circle is bigger - we went out to 28-29' diameter for a 24' diameter pool). That would have caused three problems:
1. Deck would need to be lowered.
2. Pool would be sitting lower in a yard that gets wet
3. Would need fencing on top of pool to be 48" above ground level from the high side

So then we backfilled with gravel, compacted down several times. I'm pretty comfortable with it - it's nice seeing 2' of compacted surface out beyond the pool. But I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't settle off level.

A good friend (they guy who built the deck) helped me put the cement blocks in, tamp some dead sand in over the gravel to get the surface even flatter in preparation for the foam, and get the walls up. Later this week, I'll cut the foam to fit and finish up the plumbing. Then on Saturday morning, we'll put the liner in and wait for the water delivery.

And because threads like this are useless without pictures (or so I've heard) :

Starting in the rain
DSC06778-L.jpg

DSC06779-L.jpg

DSC06783-L.jpg

The equipment was on the lawn, so I had that area dug & filled with a few inches of gravel. We'll cover it with stone.
DSC06830-L.jpg

Geotextile fabric. I'm told they lay this stuff over soft ground, cover it with 6" of gravel, and get a surface that construction vehicles can drive over.
DSC06787-L.jpg

DSC06806-L.jpg

DSC06798-L.jpg

DSC06841-L.jpg

Crop circles:
DSC06846-L.jpg

Getting the blocks in was a tedious job. Digging, measuring, digging, measuring, leveling, filling, tamping ... It rained the night after we finished, and when we started up again two days later (to put the walls up) we double checked the blocks and they were all within 1/16" of each other (at least in the centers).
DSC06851-L.jpg

DSC06855-L.jpg

The wall panels are pretty neat. Strong, aluminum on two sides with styrofoam in between. The only problem I see is that they're prone to denting. If a lawnmower kicks up a stone or a baseball hits it, it's going to dent. The panels came 5 to a box, and the bottom panel in each box had a small dent (like a car door ding) - I suspect I did that flopping the boxes onto our gravel driveway (one of them had to get moved around a couple times). Those panels got placed next to the deck where nobody will see them, but I anticipate a few dents over the years to come).
DSC06864-L.jpg

DSC06849-L.jpg

The splines that hold the panels together.
DSC06867-L.jpg

The deck was previously shaped to go around a pool with straight panel sides, so has to be reshaped around a rounded pool. The old pool was also not quite centered (the deck is centered off the patio doors leading from the back of the house) so the deck was 16" longer on one side than the other. That should be corrected now as well.
DSC06853-L.jpg

DSC06869-L.jpg

DSC06878-L.jpg

This is the "premium" 4" coping. I'm not real impressed. It's plastic (the King George had a steel deck you could walk on - not that I made a habit of that !) I probably won't attach the solar cover reel to this coping, as I think it would likely break it at some point. There are a pair of steel clips that go over the coping to attach a ladder or other accessory if need be, but I don't think those would help much, so I'll probably mount the solar reel ends to a pair of posts on either side of the pool. Also, the coping doesn't seem to really fit well. I called Radiant to get advice before screwing it in place and I'm sure it will be fine, but I was expecting a higher quality product (the premium coping cost an extra $500 !) I need to use a piece of coping as a guide for cutting the foam for the bottom before I screw it in place anyway.
DSC06880-L.jpg

This extra return fitting is a housing for an LED light.
DSC06888-L.jpg

More to come ...

- Dennis

How's the pool coming along? Please update with pics! Thanks :cool:

Looking good. A brick layer is starting next Monday on my outside steps and cant wait. Then it will be all complete. Love our Radiant so far besides some details.

Tomorrow I'm taking a vaca day & will spend the morning cutting the foam to fit and finishing up the plumbing. Saturday morning, my friend comes back - we'll tape down the foam, put the liner in and wait for the water to arrive :)

I'll have to get the pictures online ... Friday, I got the foam cut and did a little more plumbing. Saturday, my friend came over early so we could finish up before the water was scheduled to arrive (between 4 & 6). We had to spread some more dead sand around to flatten the base a bit more under the foam, clean off the foam for taping, get the gorilla pad in (above the foam, just to hide tape seams and add a little 'extra'), get the cove in and finally the liner. We got about an inch of water in from our well and then got the call from the water supplier saying they had trouble with two of their sources and weren't going to be there. They promised Sunday morning. So my friend came back Sunday morning (great friend !) and we worked on finishing up the plumbing until the water arrived. We had the shop vac sucking air out through the return while we pushed the liner around with brooms and my daughter sloshed in the water. We got the return & skimmer fittings done between trucks (two 6000+ gallon loads did the trick). And the liner came out great. My friends' family came over around noon for hot dogs and a little swimming (the water started at 66 degrees - got to 73 with sunlight and the heat pump - too cold for me !) I shut all the breakers off to be safe while they were in, because the pool isn't bonded yet.

Work to do:
Wire up the transformer for the LED light (I ran the low voltage line, but will have the electrician connect the transformer to 110V)
Get the salt level up and be sure the chlorine generator is doing its job
Use the soil that was dug out to do a little regrading to keep rainwater away
Cover the gravel with a couple inches of stone
Figure out what I'm going to do about putting the solar cover reel back up (I mentioned that the coping isn't really sturdy enough, so trying to decide between two posts at midpoint and a third to pivot it around versus two posts out at the end of the pool like matt4x4's DIY setup).

Sounds great. Can't wait to see more pics. I am getting ready to install our radiant and would love it if you could include pics of how you bonded the pool. It isn't required by our local code but am going to do it anyway. Not sure how to connect it to the pool. Also, how did you do the coving around the edge, sand or foam? Is there anything you would do different?

Hi Mainedad,

Haven't been on the board in a year ! So we had an electrician do the bonding for us (had him do a little other work at the same time). As a result, I can't remember what, exactly, he did. I did get a one page pdf from Radiant with bonding instructions ... if you want to contact me via email (it's my troublefreepools handle followed by "@yahoo.com") I'd be happy to forward it to you.

The cove is foam (the angled kind made for pools with the adhesive strip).

What I'd do differently ... I'd try to get the rigid insulation on the bottom out further to the edges of the pool. Even though they were taped, the liner has settled very slightly making linear depressions where sediment collects. Not a big deal - it vacuums out, but I'd just spend a little extra time trying to tighten everything up. Also, I'd skip the LED light. It was a freebie, part of a promotion from Radiant, because I was replacing a pool that was damaged damaged by winter weather. I had my qualms about drilling a hole in the side of the pool. During the winter, water leaked through that hole - not because of the light fixture, but because of a tear in the liner - the tear was right near the light fixture and I think it was because of the extra stress on the liner at that point. I patched it and it's holding up fine, but to me, that light fixture is just one more thing to go wrong, and it probably took more time to install than the total time we'll ever actually use it !

The winter cover ripped. It has a warranty. I contacted Radiant and they told me to contact the dealer, since they don't deal with the public directly. The dealer said that since it ripped on a seam, it's defective, and therefore covered. Guess what - they said to contact Radiant for a replacement. So back to Radiant. They got back to me once, then sat on it for weeks before I finally contacted them again, at which point they gave me an RMA number and said I have to ship back the old winter cover. Really ? They want me to box up and pay to ship this huge piece of tarp that's useless to them ? I'm annoyed at their lack of service (their tech department was extremely helpful during the installation, but they don't seem to want to address problems after the fact).

Beyond that, the pool is great. You can't believe how warm it can be thanks to those insulated walls (plus the insulation at ground level). We do use a solar cover, but the insulation holds the heat in. Our day time temps have been in the 70s and 80s, evenings in the 60s, and this past weekend, it was 92 degrees F. Getting out, the 81 degree air felt cold. We have a pool heater that I used for about 2 days at the beginning of the season to get the water up to 84 before we had friends over.

I bet they may have wanted the winter cover back to see how it ripped and see if they can improve it. I emailed Radiant about a winter cover and they never got back to me. The local guys sold me a regular cover and it ripped on the caps between the coping connections. Id like to get the one that radiant shows on their website that goes into the outside beaded channel, but they never got back to me with a price. I love my radiant. If I ever move, id get another. Maybe next time, id go fully in the ground.

finished pics?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
finished pics?

OK, I finally uploaded some more pictures. I left off with the walls up.

Here are a couple shots of the 2" thick foam boards after being cut to fit:
DSC06944-L.jpg

DSC06946-L.jpg

Then we pulled them out until we were ready to move on (so that any rain wouldn't collect and then erode between the gaps):

DSC06949-M.jpg

Back in a few days later, with the seams taped:

DSC06986-M.jpg

More to come ...

A gorilla pad on top of the insulation:

DSC06988-M.jpg

Gorilla pad and foam cove molding taped down:

DSC06993-L.jpg

Installing the liner:

DSC06994-L.jpg

We had to stand on pieces of insulation while waiting for the water to arrive because the liner was getting so hot in the sun ! We ended up using the hose to put a little water in the bottom:

IMG_2772-L.jpg

Getting help with the wrinkles.

IMG_2788-L.jpg

Shop vac trying to suck out any air behind the liner as water was added:

DSC07060-L.jpg

DSC07076-L.jpg

Volunteers testing the pool:

DSC07105-L.jpg

Me (on right) with a great friend who spent many hours helping me with it:

DSC07134-L.jpg

A few more to come ...

- - - Updated - - -

Side view before the deck was finished (it required some adjustments, going to a truly round pool (we also centered it better to the deck):

DSC07137-L.jpg

DSC07873-L.jpg

Pictures from this year - shows a portion of the deck that was fixed, the new ladder (nice, but slippery), and my attempt at putting the solar cover reel at the end of the pool:

P1050494-L.jpg

DSC01421-L.jpg

All worth it !

DSC_0662-L.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.