Stupid Algae!!!

Jakin

May 8, 2014
OK
June 2 ... slightly green and can see bottom ... tons of rain last week and a half and got slightly neglected :( Had cheap liquid drop test kit and cheap strips test kit. Ordered Taylor K-2006 kit 6/1 with 2 day shipping. Based on cheap kit:

FC 4
TC 5
PH 7.5
Alk 130
Cya 0-20? (Ran out of liquid test a while back so this is based on the dumb strips)

Afternoon - Vacuumed to waste and added 8.25% bleach to obtain FC of 10ppm based on the chart. Rechecked that evening everything the same and FC >10.

6/3 ... Slightly more green but able to see bottom. Tested noonish with cheap kits (anxiously awaiting Taylor kit!!!) everything same and FC 3, TC 4 ... Added 8.25% bleach to bring back to 10. Scrubbed all surfaces with obvious puffs of algae! Tested again that night around 8 with Taylor kit (yay!!) FC 17, all others the same. Hubby tested though and did the cya out in the dusk lighting and guessed cya 30 and didn't perform CC. And scrubbed surfaces again.

6/4 0700 ... Pool more green :/ but can still see the bottom. Test results:

FC 10
CC 0.4
Ph 7.6
Alk 130
CYA 55

Added 242oz of bleach (one jug around exterior wall, one jug slowly in front of return) to bring FC up to 22ppm. Scrubbed surfaces...lots more algae on floor!!!! I feel like I'm on the right track now...gotta keep at it over next few days till slamming complete! Any other suggestions?? Also this is our first year to switch to your method and I feel much more comfortable now with the right kit! Thanks for all the info on the forum...I can browse all day! We bought this pool from a friend and have had it for 2 yrs. I do not know how old everything is but it's definitely not a newer model. My guess is at least 10yrs prob more. I'm going to ask her.

It's actually not darker it was shaded at the time. Up close it was just cloudy green instead of more clear green. We have added 8.25% bleach 4 times today so far. Just added another 139oz and the water is cloudy but can now see big "piles" of green in places on the floor. And also there is now green specs floating all throughout the water. Are we still on the right track? Just keep slamming until those 3 items are met on the instructions? And of course back washing, scrubbing, vacuuming, and running the pump 24/7. All other test results haven't changed. And I haven't tested CC the last two tests. Is it necessary to do that everytime during slamming or just the FC?

With a CYA of 55 (rounded up to 60) your desired FC for shock level following the SLAM process is 24 ppm FC, you want to MAINTAIN this level or a little higher at all times until you are done with the SLAM process.

Ike

When you say you have been keeping it at 22, does that mean that when you next test, it is still at 22 or above or that that is the FC you aim at when you add bleach? I only ask this because many people misinterpret the meaning of 'Maintain at SLAM level'. What this means is that you should always keep it at or above the level. So, if your goal level is 25 and you add some bleach, then test 2 hours later and find that your level dropped to 22, you shouldn't just add enough bleach to get to 25, you should add enough bleach so that by the time you next test it will still be 25 or above. Overshoot, but within reason so you don't risk bleaching the liner.

Well then yes I have misunderstood! I have been just aiming for the 22 and when I test and it's dropped again below the 22, I only add enough to bring it back to 22. Argh!! No wonder! So basically my FC has dropped on average 5-7ppm about every 4-5 hours. So should I aim for a target about that much higher than the now 24ppm goal?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.