Why is BBB not taught by builders?

Reddogdan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
I can understand why a chemical store wouldn't want you to know about TFP. Kinda like a crack dealer handing out flyers for the local rehab.
But I would think a builder would want a happy customer and good PR for future business.

Good question. The builders I know still think adjusting TA and PH is impossible and have no clue how to do it. The builders I know do openings and closings on the side, and they ALL use Dichlor when opening and closing pools, without testing the water at all.

I have no experience with builders but from the stories I see here, it seems as though the builders are contractors (and really good at construction), but they have no idea how the chemistry works.

This. They take care of everything regarding construction, plumbing, electrical, etc... but chemistry? You're pretty much on your own. Thank God I found TFPF early in my ownership!

The builder who recently redid my filter/pump/liner etc did recommend the TFPC method in a general sense.
The only difference was that he thought I had lost my mind suggesting that the chlorine from the pool store was the same as bleach adjusting for product percentage

He suggested pretty much the same methods employed by folks here, but, insisted that using "pool chlorine" was essential.

Another thing is it seems many pool builders know nothing about maintaining a pool, by that I mean more than just the chemistry, just look at how they often layout equipment pads so it all has to be chopped out to change anything. Or suggest pool layouts with no thought to traffic flow, etc.

They don't understand the CYA/Chlorine relationship for the most part.
I really think many pool store owners/employees miss this also. I would really hate to think there are that many people out there who will willingly give bad information/misinformation just to put money in their pocket. They probably just take chemical company representatives information as gospel and don't do their own due diligence.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They probably just take chemical company representatives information as gospel and don't do their own due diligence.
This. And many pool store employees (especially in summer) are just kids that do not maintain their own pools and just spew the information that they have been told by previous employees .... remember the telephone game as a kid ;)

The PB we used has his own pool store as well. He was pushing me to bring the water there to be tested and told me that they would get me whatever I need to keep the pool clear. Luckily I'm a DIY, OCD type person and found this site so I'm able to do it all myself. I'm not opposed to buying certain things at the pool store but I'll run my own chemistry.

The Chlorine vs CYA relationship, although long known, is not widely recognized by the NSPF or the APSP or other pool orgainizations. This I belive is due to lobbying by the chemical makers. It will take the national swimming pool and spa organizations to change the game, so the chemical folks lobby hard against it.

If the NSPF or the APSP did recognize and recommend maintaining your pool the way we do, the chemical makers would loose TONS of sales.

I know i harp on Pool Stores pretty hard, but I really do belive that all those folks know about pool care, for the most part, is from the product sales literature. I dont think the folks on the pool store do it on purpose. They just dont know any better.

Although, there are some that do, I have no doubt.

Here is my experience with Pool Builders and Pool Store owners:
Most pool store owners sub-contract pool builders and give them their "leads". The Pool Builders buy the pool kits from the pool stores so there is much profit and business if they work together. A pool builder is very "reluctant" to do anything to detract their relationship from the pool store. Hence, they will never divulge any of their business practices or bad mouth, "The Store".
The Pool Store buys all the chemicals from the manufacturer. The manufacturer "schools" them that with rain water, evaporation and pool water loss,that the "added in" water is sufficient to keep the stabilizer at accepted levels. This comes directly from a pool store owner that I have known for years and truly believes he is an "expert" in the industry. They keep selling the products and keep misinforming the pool owners who usually don't have a clue. I beat my head against a wall for almost two years until I found out what CYA is and how it affects pool water. Thank God for TFP, its creators and this website! Knowledge is power and with just a little ambition and perseverance, anyone with a desire to keep their pool looking good with minimum cost can do this. Thanks Again creators of BBB and TFP.

My PB was pool stored. He freaked when I started pouring bleach into the return after it filled up stating: "You cant do that, the pool store will tell you not to use bleach as it will make the liner brittle. I showed him how in the Doughboy Pool Instructions, it gives instructions for chlorinating with liquid chlorine AKA bleach. Surprisingly... just like the advice on this here forum.... it says to pour it slowly into the return while the pump is running.

"imagine that" :rolleyes: I replied. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.