Hayward Powerflo LX or Matrix

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
So i'm finally ordering my pool today. The company is giving me a choice of pump between the Powerflow LX or the Matrix. I'm going with the 180T sand filter. I'm getting a 24' ABG.

Any pros or cons to either pump? They basically look the same to me. The Matrix can discharge vertical or horizontal but I have no idea why that would matter to me. The pump/filter will be sitting beside the pool on a pad.
The Matrix looks to be more expensive, but i'm pretty sure they are giving me the choice of either. They are also giving me the choice of sand, DE, or cartridge filters. I think i'm going with sand, just because its a workhorse and I pretty much know how to backwash and deep clean it when needed.

Any advice on which pump to get?

Get the sand filter with a 2 speed matrix. The pump's discharge goes on top for sand, can be switched to side for a cart filter.
Is the 2 speed an option? I'd get it and run it on low speed 24/7 and use high for vacuuming. Save a lot on elec with a 2 speed pump.

Hate the lids on the Powerflow LX. Not much of a fan of the matrix lid but it's better than the powerflo lid.

What is the SFHP of either pump?
Either pump will do an adequate job, but I'd be more interested in getting a 2-speed of either model. The SP15922S in the Matrix would be my choice.
Also, the sand filter you quote isn't large enough for that pool. You should be looking at, at least the 240. I'd be more inclined to go with a 200 sqft cartridge filter.

You're suggesting a 1hp over a 1 1/2hp? Both pumps they are offering are 1 1/2hp. I'm pretty sure they are not 2 speed. I asked about a 2 speed pump and they quickly shot it down when we first started talking about pools. I think they are an old school pool place and they stick with what they know instead of trying the new technology. I'm going to see if they can get a 2 speed in.

I switched from a cartridge to a sand. Don't regret it, even though we live in a fine dust area. It's a pain to take the cartridge out and hose it off, and in July and August (dust storm season$ we were doing that a lot. After 3 years, the middle seam on the filter housing wouldn't stop leaking, we had to take it apart so much!

Oh, and I have a 1 hp matrix. Love it for my 20ft diameter pool. It was really handy bring able to switch it from side to on top when I switched filters. Going on 7th season with it, no problems, even though I accidentally ran it dry once.

A few months ago, I found an open box Hayward Pro-Flo Matrix, 3/4 hp pump and I love it. I have it connected to an Intex sand filter and both do a great job. I hate cleaning filters so the sand filter is right for me. If only I could figure out how not to clean the filter on the hot tub, I would be in heaven.

So I'm going to see if they can substitute the 1 1/2hp single speed for a 1hp dual speed at no additional cost. And also see if they can upgrade the 180t to a 210t as well. Shouldn't be THAT much more of a cost to them. Hopefully they will just eat the loss and not pass it on to me. After all I am paying them to install the whole thing.

Reactions: JoniTull
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.