Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Liner? Do I have to?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Liner? Do I have to?

I recently purchased a used 18' x 33' AGP. 3 out of 4 people I speak with say I MUST purchase a NEW liner to re-install the pool. Is this true. The line that is with it seems perfectly fine but I'm hearing that it cannot stretch back to its previous form and certainly not to a new form with tearing. Can anyone verify this for me? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Liner? Do I have to?

The 3 of the 4 would be correct. That is one of the reasons you should not completely drain a vinyl liner pool. It probably will not stretch back to the size it needs to. The liner becomes less pliable if it dries out.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Heatmisr. Once youve let a vinyl liner dry out it becomes unusable. We had our liner replaced this year because of a leak and the old one sat in the backyard by the pool for a few weeks until I could dispose of it and I was amazed at how brittle it became.

Food for thought .... we bought our liner online and it was $200.00 cheaper than what our local pool store was selling it for, so if you have time look around!

Good Luck!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I recently bought a new liner. I did a lot of searching, and I couldn't find anyone that could beat the price of http://www.northeastpoolstore.com/Liners/liners.htm when factoring in shipping, handling, etc. I also noticed that almost everyone on the web seems to be reselling the same two brands (unless you want something really fancy). FWIW.

TomU