Pool renovation

Jun 4, 2014
Racine,WI
well hello everyone, im new here. figured id drop in to say hi, share some photos and possibly ask some advice.

well i purchased a foreclosed house (my first house) about 1.5 years ago it had a decent sized in ground pool and we have started the renovation. She will need
*new liner
*new ladders/railings
*new plumbing
*new pump.
I've also decided to replace and add to a section of the concrete pool deck which means I can add some lighting to the east side of my pool. my pool builder recommended two savi melody lights. will this be very bright enough? I've seen the SOL version online is brighter and the melody is a pool/spa light the pool is about 32x18. oh dont worry i will also be resurfacing the old concrete this weekend, i think the plan is to use a concrete stain then a clear coat with non skid. anyone have any suggestions on a good brand?

here are some pictures of the pol

After thinning out landscaping
pool.jpg
Before thinning out landscaping
528669_407345982666141_716797637_n.jpg

thanks for looking guys! any suggestions would be appreciated!

so far the left half of the pools concrete deck has been removed along with new plumbing and lighting installed. this weekend i should be repainting the coping, and resurfacing the remaining concrete to prep for a stain once the new concrete has been poured. All the landscaping around the pool has been removed with an additional 6 feet of concrete being added to the left side.
Other plans for this would be learning how to care for the pool, replanting some plants, and adding a pond/waterfall near the back right corner. also moving the pump and filter set up later this summer once the garage addition is done.

I'll add more pictures once i get home from this work trip, there is a 2.5-3 foot rock wall separating the pool area from the rest of the yard but in these pictures everything looks like a jungle. Last week i cut out 15 truck loads of trees and bushes to tame everything.

Sure does look about the same! hopefully mine will come out as good as yours did.

well new plumbing is in, i soft scrubbed the stairs, now im thinking about trying to use CLR to remove some rust on them.
here are some pictures of the pluming and the new hole for the lights.

I'll have to admit that i am having a pool builder do the plumbing, lights and liner. im 25 and new to all this, im also only home about 2 days a week, on a good week so some stuff is hard to keep up with. hopefully going to resurface the rest of the concrete, and paint the steel walls this weekend.

here are the pictures
tumblr_n6q6ssqPDA1tdizxbo1_500.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/af868a0d922c0ddde070146f603c9a9c/tumblr_n6q6ssqPDA1tdizxbo1_500.jpg

Attachments

• securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 410
Keep the pics coming! It will look like a brand new pool when completed! :cool:

Couldn't get a hold of the pool builder but i am wondering if i should have some plumbing added for a vacuum? Right now i'm leaning towards an aqua bot jr which uses a filter, but wondering if i should add a line in case i get one that runs off a suction line. to go along with the aqua bot i was considering a hand held recharge unit. Any thoughts?
sorry about grammer just woke up with 4 hours rest after an 18 hr shift.

If I had it to do over, I'd get a robot. I have a pressure side cleaner with booster. Robots are getting a lot of good press here. When either my booster or vacuum dies someday I'm going to go robotic.

The line seems like it would be unnecessary though it's always good to think these things through.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well here is an update, they finished pouring concrete this morning. A bit behind schedule due to rain but its coming along. All new pluming,LED's (went with two SAVI Melodys), painted coping and steel walls and cleaned up the stairs.

I've been looking for a concrete grinder for rent to resurface the old concrete to prep for staining. However they are booked for weeks so Sunday I have someone coming over for an estimate, I will more than likely still do the staining,caulking **** just supply the grinder. Now all i have to do is decide on the color of liner and siding for the house garage. may take awhile im horrible with colors.

tumblr_n6z0h8RtHC1tdizxbo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n6z0h8RtHC1tdizxbo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_n6z0h8RtHC1tdizxbo3_1280.jpg

I noticed you used flexible PVC to run the plumbing. Never thought about using it but it would make life easier.

Are flexible PVC lines proven to be as good as standard schedule 40 PVC? I like that flexibile PVC would eliminate the need for elbows which would improve water flow.

Looks like a good project and it's coming along nicely!

As for the Savi Melody, those two should be PLENTY for your size pool. Thinking of going with the two or three mini blanco or melody myself (we distribute nextstep products where I work so this is an advantage to using them). Have you been able to turn them on and test them yet?

The pool builder decided to use the flexible lines. I would assume that for low pressure pool use it will hold up just as well, someone more experienced should comment here but low psi and a small operating temperature range would lead me to assume it will hold up well.

Thank you, i got home two days ago after a week of traveling and just met with a friend who will be doing the acid wash and colored sealer on the concrete, then its time to fill her up. could have wrapped this project up in a week had I planned better and been available for the entire week.

Thank you for your comment on the melody lights, i was mainly worried because I believe they are listed as step lights on some websites.

Anyone have suggestions on where i can try to find ladders and a railing to go with the existing holes drilled in the deep end and for the steps?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.