Looking for PB recommendations in Acadiana area

May 7, 2013
New Iberia, LA
I'm looking at getting either a fiberglass or gunite pool approx 14x28-30 with a tanning ledge installed, we live in New Iberia.

So far I had (fiberglass) recommendations to use Acadiana Pools, but they won't install the model of Trilogy Shells I liked, even though they are the dealer and were quite snotty about it too. Affordable pools, did a good job on a friends pool but sadly the only two Viking shells that have tanning ledges built in are too big, and therefore definitely not affordable. At least not in our budget (keeping it sub $40K)

So I'm looking for any good builders to bear in mind and any to stay the heck away from. I've been talking to a company called Aquascapes in Lafayette who have been very helpful but I don't know of any builds they've actually done. They would be building in gunite.

Interesting about Acadiana... I wonder if perhaps only some of the Trilogy models are produced at the Breaux Bridge plant, and they limit themselves to those (to avoid large shipping expenses)? But I'd think if that were the case, they'd at least offer it to you if you paid the additional shipping.

Well thats what I thought, but there are definitely models in their catalog that are only made in TN according to the main Trilogy website. So its kind of strange. I did get a call from another builder that 'will install any pool I want'. Uh. Huh. That sounds legit. Right along with 'we can start tomorrow' in the middle of the busy season. At the moment I'm leaning towards either a San Juan fiberglass, which seem much more affordable, the installer is a regional distributor and has a reasonable 3 month waiting list. I'm also shopping gunite. The only builder that I've had word of mouth recommendations on so far, is currently booking for march 2015. Sad thing is I keep reading horror stories of installs (yours included) and I'm quite terrified of booking a build, in this case I'm not sure what I'm more afraid of a fiberglass of a gunite build. I'm quite tempted to shove a bathtub in the backyard and drink till I believe its a pool.

I can not help you but I just wanted to wish you well with your pool search!

Although gunite builds have problems too, because of our initial nightmarish experience with fiberglass, we had pretty much decided on going gunite on the redo, but then the situation was resolved with a new fiberglass shell being installed, and we love the pool.

It might not be an accurate observation, but my perception is that, in general, fiberglass builders are more likely to be new at it, while gunite builders as a group are more experienced. Additionally, I get the impression that the methods and techniques of the fiberglass industry are still evolving (the sand vs. gravel debate being a good example), while the practice of building masonry pools is well-established.

Fiberglass does have several advantages, but it seems like finding a good gunite builder would be easier than finding a truly experienced fiberglass installer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.