Is there such a thing as a solid cleaner? Preferably under a thousand.

Oct 31, 2013
Hey

I recently purchased the dolphin natilus from amazon. I have been severely disappointed for the money I spent. I have a 30 day return period I'm strongly considering because this doesn't do anything near what I read or was advertised. I will highlight the pros and cons.

Pros:
No tangle cord-is just that
Price-very reasonable for an entry level robotic
Filters-a breeze to clean

Cons:
Seems to push around as much as it picks up even with its heavy filters
Scared to climb walls-As soon as it approaches and starts to get traction it decides to turn around.
Lack of traction-I watch it spin its wheels as much as I see it moving.
Shape of pool dictates path-shy from shallow end and cleans the same spot over and over due to picking the path of least resistance.
Misses large portions of the pool

I could go on and on but basically this cleaner is, and continues to be a huge disappointment. I still have some test to run in hopes of helping it save face (I really want this cleaner to do well) but it's not looking good. I made the mistake of not doing more research and relying on amazon reviews (they rarely steer me wrong). Looking for any suggestions from current owners and suggestions on what people would recommend. I realize my pool is a difficult shape. Here is a rough picture

shapes.jpg

Mine closely resembles the first picture the "grecian" except where the angles leave to the deep end is smooth all the way around instead of splitting off into sections. Also as it leaves the shallow end there is a small 3 or 4 inch lip that is the same depth as the shallow end that runs around the entire length of the deep end. I realize this makes it difficult for a cleaner to clean the walls and waterline. I'm willing to brush that into the deep end and let it settle but it won't climb my 90 degree walls in an attempt to clean the water line even in the shallow end where there is no lip.

I realize 90 degree walls and sloped edges present a tough cleaning issue but I'm curious if there is even a cleaner that can realistically over comes these issues. I'm at the point that I'm almost willing to either double my investment or just suck it up and clean by hand. The saying if you want something done right then do it yourself is ringing all to true. Thanks in advance for reading and your responses.

The statement on robots that I've been told by people much more knowledgeable than I is "you get what you pay for". Cheaper the robot, the poorer job it will do. I know that's not the kind of help you are looking for, but if you're wanting to keep the budget under 1k, you might be better served going with a pressure or suction side cleaner. What you're trying to collect should dictate which you choose IMO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.