Unknown Leaking Pump

adam_d

Apr 22, 2014
Oklahoma
I recently noticed that my pool pump has been leaking water. First from the drain plug, and from the bottom as well. From research, I've heard this is mostly caused by a bad motor shaft seal. Upon investigating, I took out the drain plug and once putting it back in, it now leaks water worse than ever.

The plug won't tighten all the way, but it also does not have an o-ring. Could this be why it's loose AND leaking? Is there any way to find out what type of pump I have for replacement parts?

The tag is scratched off so I'm not sure where to start. Any idea what pump this is? The plug seems to match a Waterway pump, but not sure if different brands use various plugs. I'm going to go by the pool company that installed the pool to see if they have any insight. Pics are below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vibmooxpq8t2pu3/20140603_203119.jpg

Try putting one wrap of teflon tape around the threads. If that dont seal try 2 wraps and even 3. Looks like the edge of the threads are squared off and not gripping the female threads. You may have to remove the teflon tape and use caulk.

I've tried tape, no luck. It seems as if the plug isn't getting screwed down far enough. If I screw it in and then press on it with the screwdriver, it stops leaking which makes me think its has a gap where the o-ring should be. Maybe this is just wishful thinking.

I dont think mine has an oring. The tapered part on the back of the plug is what seals it. I would say your threads are just wore out. I cant see what the female threads look like. Try leaving the tape off and using caulk. I dont know how well acrylic caulk holds up in pool water but I dont know if I would use silicone because you may never get it loose again. Someone else may chime in with a recommend type of caulking.

Drain plug leak is fixed. Also...

I noticed the strainer lid has a part number on it -- SP 31000-D, which I believe translates to a Hayward Super II 3000 series.

Looking at the Go-Kits for this pump, and the diagrams don't match up. The housing gasket, diffuser gasket, and motor seal I'm familiar with, but I've noticed some have a "Support Base O-Ring", which I can't seem to find in a diagram.

Ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.