Introduction and my Build!!!!

MCR500

Jul 9, 2008
Clovis,Ca
Well, back in Feb. of this year I decided to build an outdoor kitchen. Researched all I could, and found the BBQ Galore site, which was a tremendous help. As luck would have it, two weeks after I start the build, the site goes down. It is really a shame that it looks like it will not be back up; there was a tremendous amount of archived information for the DIY weekend warrior to use. I got a lot of my ideas/techniques from that site. What a shame it is gone!!! Dr. Dave posted frequently over there, and I really used his knowledge in fab. techniques when I started my build.

I found this site through a link on Dr. Daves site, and figured I would post my photos to give others the same opportunity I had to try and tackle a project like this. I tried to photograph all aspects of the build, while paying paticular attention to the areas I just couldn't find a lot of info on. It has been a long road, but the end is near.

I am in no way an expert in this type of construction, but I will give advice to anyone who seeks it. If you are thinking about trying a build on your own, go for it!!! Once you get started, it really isn't that bad. My build was fairly involved, but so far, I am extremely pleased with the results. I don't have too far to go!!!

You can view all the construction pics at this link: http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/M ... mview=grid

I will update the photos as progress continues. Questions/comments are welcome. Thanks, Mike

cobra46 said:
What kind of feet did you use to deal with the slope of the concrete?

I was fortunate enough to have the fab. shop where I work make em up. There are a couple of photos of them in my gallery.

I looked high and low before I started my build for an "off the shelf" leveling foot. They are out there, but they are pretty good money($7.50 to $10 a piece). Figuring that I used about 45!! of them for the whole island, it would have got expensive, quick. The ones I had made up work great, cost me about $3.50 a piece, and are much more durable than anything else I came across. C-Ya!!

No problem!!

That was what was so great about the "other" site; learning and seeing what everybody else has done.

Doing research on other builds gave me ideas on this one. Glad I could help!!! I feel I almost owe it to others to post pics of the build; if you don't have experience in this, the start can be rather daunting!!

I can only hope that this great site can obtain enough info that it encourages other people to undertake this sort of project, like the BBQG site did.

Good luck on your build!! C-Ya!!

Well, started the cultured stone last w/e. Photos are updated.

Applied concrete glue, let tack, then applied scratchcoat. Got a great bond to the Hardibacker!!

Layed out all the stone Sat. morn, and by 4 pm, was about 75% complete with the install.. This is back-breaking work!!! It takes more time to find the "right" stone than it does to apply them. Just one great big jigsaw puzzle!!! BTW, it was me and 2 other guys working. If you want to attempt this yourself, get ready to put some time in!! Very slow, tedious process.

We will finish this week. Should have about 4 more hours to go. I will let stone sit for 3 days, then apply a 1 quart muratic acid to 3 gal. water solution to the stone to remove any mortar/dust left. Then I will give it two coats of clear, satin sealer to bring out the rock colors.

Pretty happy with the results so far. I can't wait till this thing is DONE!!! :cry: C-Ya!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, after AT LEAST 5 months of nights and weekends, my build is COMPLETE!!!!

You can see all the updated photos at the following link: http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/M ... mview=grid

It has been a very long road, but quite worth it in the end. I would hope that my photos give someone else enough confidence/ideas to start their own build. I had NO experience in this type of construction; the hardest part was just getting going on it!!! Once under way, all it took was A LOT of time (and MONEY!! :roll: )

Any questions, feel free to ask. Now its' time to :cheers: around the new kitchen!! C-Ya!!

Mike

I know I have read this somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

What is the logic for placing vents high versus low. I know it has to do with the prevailing wind, but do you want the high vents on the windward side or the low vents?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Dave may chime in with the rational behind the high/low placement, but this was my thinking.

I wanted to try and hide the vents(as much as possible!) on the front of my island under the overhang, so they went up high on the front face. This also happens to be the prevailing wind direction.

Propane is heavier than air, so the backside vent on my propane drawer went down low. I installed all the remaining vents on the backside of my build down low, so they will match.

The important part is you vent EACH COMPARTMENT high and low. Convection current, maybe???

Pretty scientific, huh :lol: !!! FWIW. C-Ya!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.