Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am new to the very detailed pool testing. I have always used the test strips in the past, but this year I got a new pool and after doing some reading on here I got the Taylor K-2006 test kit.

I have been working on getting everything balanced and I am about there with the exception of my TA, and it's higher than recommended.

Here are my current readings as off this evening:

FC = 5.5 ppm
CC = 0.0 ppm
PH = 7.4
TA = 110 ppm
CH = 70 ppm
CYA = 70 ppm
Copper = .2 ppm

I don't have a salt test kit...but I added the correct amount when I filled my pool 3 weeks ago and my low salt warning on my pump has not signaled that I need to add any.

The pool is crystal clear and the FC has been on a climb from about 3 to 5.5 over the past 2 weeks, which may signal that I can cut back on my SWG run time.

Is it worth the trouble to try and lower my TA? I have read the procedure where you add dry acid to lower the TA and PH then aerate to bring the PH back up. I have a 7.4 right now and based on the acid drop test I would need to add roughly 1 pound of dry acid to lower my PH to 7.2 and that should bring the TA down to about 102.

I guess I am asking is it worth the effort and time it will take to bring it down? What are the pro's of doing this in a vinyl AGP?

If your PH goes up rapidly enough to be annoying, lower TA. If your PH is fairly stable, leave TA alone.

So far the PH has been fairly stable. If it does climb, I guess the act of lowering it will also give me the added benefit of also lowering my TA a little too.

I would recommend using muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) instead of dry acid to avoid excess sulfate levels. Using a little bit of dry acid is fine but I would avoid using it too much.

I would recommend using muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) instead of dry acid to avoid excess sulfate levels. Using a little bit of dry acid is fine but I would avoid using it too much.

Thanks for the tip, I read that somewhere else, but it did not say why. I will have to locate some muriatic, I have only seen the dry with the pool supplies at the 3 places that sell pool stuff here in town.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.