EWWWWW! Insect eggs on my liner!

AnnaK

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
Not kidding. About an inch above the water line there are insect eggs, those thin rod-shaped waxy things, less than 1 mm long. White. BILLIONS of them! Ok, maybe not that many, I didn't count. I did, however, swish water at them and sure enough, they come off real easy and then float on the surface, and got in my hair and stuck to my skin. I can't even tell you how fast I was out of that pool and in the shower!

The biting flies have been absolutely vicious over the past two days. This morning, when I started to backwash to use up all the free water we got from a torrential downpour yesterday, they were so nasty that they chased me into the house. I had to don full tropical gear (long sleeves, long pants, mosquito net over my hat, gloves) to get the backwash done. In the pool this afternoon I was safe from them only when submerged, still wearing the mosquito hat.

Gack! Now I have those eggs floating on the water and have visions of them turning into maggots in due time. Is there ANYTHING I can put in the water to kill them? And to prevent them in the future?

I am so very grossed out!

Hi Jason,

I've used borax to adjust alkalinity but haven't needed to add any since very early in June since all my chems are holding steady. I'm a little cautious with borates because of the dogs.

This may have been just a one-time event. There aren't any new ones today, whew! Because I'm a geek I put the skimmer sock from this morning in a bucket, covered it with some old fly screen, and set it in the shade just to see what, if anything grows :)

Those biting flies are evil, aren't they?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.