Unsure if I should add muriatic acid

reneec

Jun 12, 2007
I am still new to the pool stuff and am a little unsure about what to do. I have been having some problems with high TA and now my PH has risen also. I bought the muriatic acid, but wanted to check here before I do something I shouldn't . I have a 20,000 gallon vinyl pool. I just tested my pool here are my numbers. Please let me know what you think I should do. I know I need to add some bleach to bring it up to 4.6.

FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
PH 7.8
TA 150
CYA 45

Go ahead and add the acid, use Jason's calculator (in my sig) to find out how much to add. Be careful when playing with the acid! and add the suggested amount in 2 doses, retesting after an hour between dosings. Do not add the bleach while doing the acid! You can do the bleach first and wait an hour with the system running or do the acid first and wait to add the bleach.

All will be fine! We are here to help you 'tame' your pool :wink:

I also have a vinyl pool and add muriatic in front of the return. That way it gets dispersed right away.

I never add more than a pint at a time, though. I have the same T/A and Ph problems you do. I don't have my T/A all the way down to 80 or whatever; it's at about 100 right now but causes no problems at that level. But if your Ph gets a little low with the adding of the acid, aerate. I was surprised at how much that caused mine to go up! No chemicals, no problems with something that might add more to the total alkalinity problem; I am so glad that I found out about that little trick on this site! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.