DE, sand or cartridge?

May 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have been studying Hydraulics 101. I noticed that a catridge filter is good for a SWCG. But sand filter is good for winterazation. But a DE is good for really clear water. So, I was interested in a DE filter but I would like to go saltwater. It will also have to be put away for winter. Am I just getting to technical in my head and over thinking? The DE with saltwater will work fine right? Thanks!

Yes DE will work fine with a SWG. The issue is when you backwash, you will lose salt which will then need to be replaced. But it isn't as much as what a sand filter would be. But if you close a pool and open to an algae swamp, then I would avoid a cartridge unless you can put in a bypass.

Whatever you choose fit filtration will be fine. Just a matter of how fine. Is water really expensive? Sand wastes the most water and also doesn't filter quite as fine. DE has great filtration, wastes less water but you have to buy and handle DE more. Cartridges waste the least water and filter very well but more manual cleaning. I like my sand, manual chlorination for now but considering SWG in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes DE will work fine with a SWG. The issue is when you backwash, you will lose salt which will then need to be replaced. But it isn't as much as what a sand filter would be. But if you close a pool and open to an algae swamp, then I would avoid a cartridge unless you can put in a bypass.

Good point about salt (and CYA) with a sand. Sand will change the ppm levels of those more than other options.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.