First test on new water

Feb 24, 2008
I'm almost done filling the water,and I took a sample to the pool store. By the way it is city tap water, and very clear with a light green tinge to it (only when looking in the deep end)

Pool store

FC 0.1
TC 0.6
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 0
Total dissolved solids 200
CH 50
Iron 0.1
Copper 0

This is what they said,
As filling add 32 oz of Stain & scale
wait one hour
Add 24 oz of Broad Spectrum Algicide

48 hrs later with filter running
Add 2 lbs of Turbo Shock
wait 2 hrs
Add 3 lbs Chlorine Stabilizer

Here's my reading with the TF-100 kit

FC 0.5
CC 0.5
TC 1.0
PH 7.2
TA 160
CH 40
CYA 0

water temp 72 deg. (BRRRRRR)

I was going wait till the pool was full,about 3 more hrs, add the Stain & Scale then add 41 oz of bleach to bring FC to 3. Then after I got the pump up & running add the CYA with the sock method about 3.5 lbs. (Thanks Jason for the pool calculator) :goodjob:

How long should I wait inbetween chemicals when adding?
I wasn't going to bring it to shock level and I wasn't going to use Algicide at all. Does this sound good or not? I'm guessing the light green color is not algae since it's tap water.

I'm new to the BBB method, my parents used the puck & shock method years ago and where always adding chems. I appreiciate any & all help.

Thanks again,
Anthony

Hi, Anthony,

How large is your pool? You need to get some chlorine in your pool immediately but I can't tell you how much 'til you give us the size.

I see no reason, based on your test results, to follow any of the pool stores advice. You don't need algaecide or stain n' scale. You DO need chlorine and then stabilizer. Tell us the size of your pool and we'll advise how much.

According to the pool calculator you need to add 2- 96 oz bottles of 6% bleach to bring your FC to 6ppm. Then check it in the morning again to see if its still at 6ppm.
You should add 85 oz by weight of stabilizer (CYA) to bring it to 40 You can get that at Home Depot and Lowes. Put the stabilizer in a sock and put it in the skimmer and let it disolve. Dont backwash your filter as it takes about a week for it to get into the pool. After a week recheck your CYA levels.
TA lookes fine and PH looks a little low you should try to keep that between 7.4 -7.6 but do that after you get your chlorine situated.
You can increase your PH by turning one of your return jets upwards so it breaks the surface of the water for a little while then check it again.

Now, you need to keep some bleach on hand ! Happy swimming !!
If you can, post some pictures of your pool .... we love to see pictures !

Good luck !!

PS if your folks still have a pool, introduce them to this web site too !!

Thanks for responding so fast, so I'll add enough liquid chlorine to bring it up to 6 ppm, I have 5 gal of 12.5 onhand. I was going to add 3.5 ilbs of CYA, about 2/3 of 5 lbs just to see where the level goes. Almost ready to turn the pump on, about 8 more inches.

I couldn't find CYA at Lowes or Home Depot, what is it called there? I bought 4 lbs at the pool store for $20.00, (MYBLUEPOOL Chlorine Stabilizer).

I'll also break the water with the return to bring up PH. Should I let the pump run 24/7 for a few days or just until the CYA dissolves from the sock?

Thanks
Anthony

I'll post pics as soon as I can, start to finish or I should say pond to pool!!!!!!

Hi Anthony!

Waiting and watching those last few inches can be annoying :!: :!:

You have to leave your filter running 24/7 while you add your CYA so it wont sit in your filter. At Home Depot where we bought ours it was simply called Stabilizer and was in the pool dept not sure about Lowes.
Since your so close nyour PH if time permits in the morning do a quick check on your chlorine level and your PH. If you PH has risen turn your return jet back down so you get good circulation in your pool.

When your ready to post pictures post them here so we dont get another thread started and everyone get confused :-D I think you can rename the threads but you would have to check on that with one of the Mods :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.