Calcium Hardness, can you lower it without replacing the water?

Jun 4, 2013
My pool is roughly 12,800 gallons. My hardness is at 440ish. I need it down to around 300 according to the site so I would like to lower it to 250ish so I have some room to grow.

I live in Texas and I don't really want to pump out 32% of my water or like 4,000 gallons of water...thats a lot of freaking water.

I have most of my pool close to balance, still tweaking it. Im about to slam it for a day or two to rid the CC, UP the FC, lower the PH and TA together with bisulfurate and add in a little more conditioner to get my CYA up another 20 or so. SOOOO that leaves me with a CH of 440 though. My water is blue but cloudy, I am assuming its the CH as I didn't have this issue last year.

Thanks for the heads up.

FC 3
CC 1.8
PH 7.8
TA 160
CH 440
CYA 50

Only one way to not replace water ... a reverse osmosis service, but they are only available in very limited markets and usually costs more than replacing the water.

440ppm is not too bad, just keep your pH less than 7.8 and you will be fine.

The CH is not making your water cloudy.....it's your lack of chlorination.

The water softener, that has been discussed many times here on the forum, will not work. It does not have the capacity.
4,000 gallons of water...thats a lot of freaking water.
About $25 worth or so.

Not sure of the CH of your fill water, but mine is 150 in Houston. My CH is around 500 and after the first year of several partial drains to lower CH I just decided to live with it and make sure TA and pH stay within the guidelines. I keep my CSI slightly negative on the low end and never let it get above say +.15 as pH rises during the week.

But my experience with my fill water makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to keep CH below 400.

I wish I could have 440, as my well gives me 700+

I do make up some with my softener, but it is limited and it takes diligence to regen and keep up with it. It also doubles my salt use. it can be done, but generally softeners are no good for keeping up with pool makeup demands. Certainly not for 4000 gallons of water.

Calcium can only be diluted or removed mechanically as Jason said. No two ways about it.

Agree rainwater harvesting. I have two drains off of my roof set up so I can filter out the big particle and route the rainwater right into my pool. Even with a half in of rain I can fill my pool a good 1" or 2" with both drains connected. Last year I only had to add tap water two or three times all year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.