Is my roof feasible for use of solar panels?

Apr 15, 2014
Panama City, FL
I recently received a quote to have solar panels installed. The price made me nauseous and since there is only one company in my area that installs solar systems I began to consider a DIY install to save what would end up being thousands of dollars. However, having read that a south facing system is optimal with west being second best then east and north being a "don't do it", I wanted to post a photo of my roof to get opinions on whether or not solar is even a viable option for my situation. By the way, I now have a screen enclosure built for the pool. As you can see in the photo, I have no south facing roof space. What little bit that is even peaking southward is southeast and is a very small amount....one or two panels worth at best unless I used the space toward the front of the house, which I'd rather not. The only other space that's large enough to install a few panels faces northeast. The more I look at it the more I think that solar is simply not the best option for my situation. I suppose I could ground mount the panels on a rack but I'm really not thrilled about having that monstrosity taking up space. So what do you guys think? Should I consider solar with the majority of the panels facing northeast or should I consider other means of heating like heat pump or gas heater. I live on the Gulf coast in Panama City, FL.

Roof layout.jpg

If it were mine and I was facing this situation I think I would consider building a pergola on the north east side of the pool and mount the solar panels on top of it, this could give you a semi shaded pergola that also acted as a rack to mount the solar panels facing south west.

Ike

If it were mine and I was facing this situation I think I would consider building a pergola on the north east side of the pool and mount the solar panels on top of it, this could give you a semi shaded pergola that also acted as a rack to mount the solar panels facing south west.

Ike

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Southeast of the pool would probably be feasible but not as good because of shade from the house.

Given, your land, I would rather put it somewhere there than on a roof. Mine are on my roof but not because I want them there but because I don't have anywhere else to put them.

The roof would work, but you would likely have to split up the panels and it would be a little extra complicated plumbing. You would just want them to be on any of the light areas in that picture.

With that much land, a pergola like Isaac suggested or even a rack on the ground might be easier.

There is another post on here a few down from yours about "Solar Attic" which apparently transfers heat from the attic to the pool. I have no idea about the product or the cost but if you do not have a good siting for solar panels, and you live in Florida and have a hot attic, maybe that would be worth looking into. We have solar panels that work great but our roof faces southwest. Later in the year, with the sun at a lesser angle the solar panels do not provide the same heat. I can't believe that a northeast facing siting would give you the heat you are looking for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.