I installed light and cut the cord before I tried it.... 120v to 12v

May 5, 2014
Tupelo, MS
I just changed my liner and installed a Pentair Amerilite pool light. Once I had it in, I cut off the excess cord.

Well it did not work, and I was then informed that I have a 120v to 12v converter for the light.

Would I bypass this thing, and what would someone suggest about a GFCI and its placement...

Thanks, I dont want to buy another light.

Did you hook it directly to 120 volts? If so, and it's the 12volt version, the lamp is most likely burnt out. The Amerlite comes in two versions. 12 volt and 120 volt. You need to make sure which you have. If you have the 12 volt version and it's burnt out you can replace the lamp with a 120 volt one and it should be fine. You will need to install a GFCI wherever the light hooks to.

Yes, to power a 120V light you would hook it up directly to a 120V GFCI protected circuit and bypass any previously installed 120V to 12V converter. The GFCI could be in the form of a box mounted GFCI receptacle or a GFCI circuit breaker installed in your CB panel.

Edit: When you say you cut the cord, I'm assuming you cut it at a terminal box location away from the pool and not at the lighting niche itself. That very important to know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.