Tested water with new TF-100 Kit

Since PH is 7.2 I presume I aerate the pool? The CYA is a high 90. Pool Math says replace 56% of the water. I changed 70% several weeks ago and I presume the CYA is high because I was using dissolved Trichloroethane then. I have now switched to 8.25% bleach. Even with a safety cover I have had trouble maintaining the Chlorine level. I now know that the CYA level is my problem. Anyway to get it down without replacing the water?

Yeah, I'm with timerguy...shoot for a CYA of 50 ppm which will be a 45% drain.....You'll never regret it once you do it and the savings on chlorine are immediate.

Your pH is fine...leave it alone

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll refresh the basics and, importantly, give you acceptable ranges in which to operate (i.e. pH is fine at 7.2 - 7.8)

Take a look at Pool School => Handy Reference => Chlorine / CYA chart. For 50 ppm CYA the FC range is 4-6 ppm, so never let it get below 4ppm and each time you test bump it up to 6 or a bit higher.

Higher CYA levels moderate the effects of the chlorine, so all of the CYA/FC combinations in the chart have the same (mild) effect. Shouldn't bleach liner or have any other side effects.

I had to be gone for 10 days and my wife checked the Chlorine and PH daily. The pool took very little bleach and the PH maintained at 7.5 all the time I was gone. Prior to leaving the CYA was 30 and when I returned and did the weekly tests the CYA was 20. Is this normal? My 30 reading was just after I dumped and refilled 12,000 gal of water. Pool math says I need to add stabilizer to bring it up to 30. Would granulated trichloroethane work to do this? Water is pretty clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.