Intex Ultra Frame 18x9 - Couple of questions

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Hi all, I've been lurking the forums for a little bit and just recently got the Intex Ultra Frame 18x9 above ground pool, and have a couple of questions.

First one is ground related. We have steep slopes in our yard, and I've dug out as much as I am going to do this year, so my question is more related towards when I take it down. The pool is mostly level, at one end it is right around an inch off, not terrible in my opinion conisdering there was a > than 8" slope in the yard, and I had to dig it out by hand. We are going to leave it up and take it down right before fall, so my question is, should I level it the rest of the way, or will it not really matter?

The next question is about the sand filter that comes with it. Is the 1600 GPH one strong enough? I plan to add a saltwater system to it, but was wondering if I should just go ahead and get the 2650 GPH filter + saltwater kit together?

If that sand filter is good enough, what saltwater system would you guys reccommend? If I should upgrade the filter/pump as well, can you tell me the difference between these 2 kits?

Intex 2650 GPH Saltwater System & Sand Filter Pump Set | 28681EG (56681EG) $359.00

Or the

Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump & Saltwater System | 28647EG(56673EG) + 28661EG(54605EG) $293.95

From what I can tell, the first one is all in one, and the second one is 2 seperate systems. Which is better? Price wise the 2 seperate systems together is $60 cheaper, would that make it worth it?

I'm at work, so I'll try and answer any and all questions when I get a free moment. Thanks for any and all help in advance!!

I'll answer the leveling question.....the forum considers 1" to be the MAX you should be off.

Check it with a water level or laser. If you are off more than an inch, it is questionable whether it will stay upright or not.

I'll answer the leveling question.....the forum considers 1" to be the MAX you should be off.

Check it with a water level or laser. If you are off more than an inch, it is questionable whether it will stay upright or not.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get one to check it precisely. I'll most likely re-level it at the end of the summer anyway, if it doesn't pose a problem.

Intex 2650 GPH Saltwater System & Sand Filter Pump Set | 28681EG (56681EG) $359.00

Or the

Intex 2800 GPH Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump & Saltwater System | 28647EG(56673EG) + 28661EG(54605EG) $293.95

The 28647EG(56673EG) is the 14" version sand filter with a 1600 GPH pump vs the 28681EG which is the 16" sand filter with a 2650 GPH pump.

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...gp-accessories/sand-filter-pumps/56673eg.html

I do believe this is a mistake:
http://www.vminnovations.com/Produc...rd=gpf_49030&gclid=CIKLkOiy3r4CFZRcfgodk5UAaA

I have the exact same pool and I upgraded everything on it.... Check my signature and you'll see I got rid of my pump, I've kept it as I plan to use it to be the pump for my solar heating.... :)

Get separate swg and pump as when the swg claps out, you can replace it, without losing the pump.... Remember that adding salt to your metal framed intex pool may cause faster corrosion of the frame than going with just bleach.... :)

The 28647EG(56673EG) is the 14" version sand filter with a 1600 GPH pump vs the 28681EG which is the 16" sand filter with a 2650 GPH pump.

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...gp-accessories/sand-filter-pumps/56673eg.html

I do believe this is a mistake:
http://www.vminnovations.com/Produc...rd=gpf_49030&gclid=CIKLkOiy3r4CFZRcfgodk5UAaA

Thanks that clears it up. So what would be the better swg system to get separate?

I have the exact same pool and I upgraded everything on it.... Check my signature and you'll see I got rid of my pump, I've kept it as I plan to use it to be the pump for my solar heating.... :)

Get separate swg and pump as when the swg claps out, you can replace it, without losing the pump.... Remember that adding salt to your metal framed intex pool may cause faster corrosion of the frame than going with just bleach.... :)

Thanks, I'll take a look!! Money is an issue, so I think I'll be staying with the current pump and filter and just adding the Swg portion to it. Any suggestions on which model? We'll most likely upgrade the sand filter pump later on when we can...

Thanks that clears it up. So what would be the better swg system to get separate?

The 1600 GPH pump is too small for that pool (IMHO).
I have the all-in-one unit and i like it, the only issue with it is if you want to add a heater later.(you still can, but it is more complicate to operate) if you don't need a heater i don't see the point of separating the units.

The 1600 GPH pump is too small for that pool (IMHO).
I have the all-in-one unit and i like it, the only issue with it is if you want to add a heater later.(you still can, but it is more complicate to operate) if you don't need a heater i don't see the point of separating the units.

Thanks for the info! Money is the main reason at this point lol...I think I'm going to get the swg separate for now, and just stick with the smaller pump, and upgrade it later when I have the funds. And like the other poster pointed out, a reason for us to get them separate would be if the swg dies we would still have a working pump.

What's the better model swg to get, and average price? I've seen several and I'm not sure which one I should grab.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.