filter causing deposits on bottom of pool?

May 26, 2014
United States
hi all. i have a 10,000 gallon above ground vinyl lined pool with a sand filter. recently (in the last few months) i began noticing sediment on the bottom of the pool. My water parameters are all fine and my water is stable. It doesnt seem to be algae as the only time it appears in the pool is if i run the filter. If i vaccum all the sediment out and leave my filter off the sediment doesnt come back (i have left it off for up to 2 full days to test this). If i run my filter the sediment re-appears within an hour. This made me thing i have a broken lateral and that it is sand being forced into the pool from the filter, however if you step on the sediment when you are in the pool it immediately disperses completely (to the point that you cannot see it at all) and it doesnt feel gritty at all (which i would think sand would). Any ideas on what this could be? is it sand? do i have some sort of algae that is living in my filter only (is that even possible)? I have attached pictures (not the best quality but the best i could get with my phone). any advice is greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Attachments

• pic 2.JPG
    pic 2.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 43
some additonal info:

our landlord actually did "deep clean" of the filter before we closed it for the winter so i dont think its that. my water parameters are listed below. as far as touching the substance, it doesnt feel slimy like algae or gritty like sand. honestly when i touch it and it disperses i really dont feel any texture at all. i have seen some posts about pollen with images that look similar to what I am seeing, so may be that is a possibility too? the part i find most confusing is that this stuff only appears if i run my filter.

total alkalinity is 110
ph is 7.5
chlorine is 3.0 ppm

some additonal info:

our landlord actually did "deep clean" of the filter before we closed it for the winter so i dont think its that. my water parameters are listed below. as far as touching the substance, it doesnt feel slimy like algae or gritty like sand. honestly when i touch it and it disperses i really dont feel any texture at all. i have seen some posts about pollen with images that look similar to what I am seeing, so may be that is a possibility too? the part i find most confusing is that this stuff only appears if i run my filter.

total alkalinity is 110
ph is 7.5
chlorine is 3.0 ppm
If it is filter sand it will feel gritty, even under-foot. If it just disappears as you try to touch it, it is most likely algae, and you need to KILL IT.

A key part of the equation is missing...........

What is your CYA level? If it is anywhere near 40ppm, your FC is at the absolute min and you are on the edge of an algae bloom.

What is the result of your OCLT?

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.