slightly cloudy water

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
Hi All
Noticed slightly cloudy water today. Most noticeable when I look from the deep end to the stairs at shallow end. Normally the water seems crystal clear when I do this but not today.
Had an uneventful opening/SLAM process starting 5/1/14, resulting in crystal clear water, so didn't expect any problems now.
I test daily
Test results:
FC 8.5 CC 0 ( I have never let Cl drop below 7 so far this season while I dial salt cell in)
pH 7.6 (this has been a huge battle to maintain. Much larger acid demand than last season. A few times has been 7.9 or 8 when I check at night)
TA 90
CH 270-300 (fading endpoint makes this test hard for me)
CYA 60 (I added enough a few weeks ago to reach 70. Not sure why I'm testing this low)

I guess the next step is raise the Cl up a ways then do an overnight Cl test with the cell off. I just don't see how I could possibly have algae though.
Maybe letting the pH get a little high made the Cl not as active?

There has been a lot of pollen collecting in the skimmer sock, possibly that's related?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

The high pH has very little affect on how "active" the chlorine is when there is any CYA in the water.

It could just be pollen and debris in the water. I think you have a good plan to raise the FC some and check the OCLT.

In case this would be helpful to other members:
I don't think it's just pollen, unfortunately.
OCLT lost 2 ppm
I guess my lack of brushing the pool caught up with me. I can't think what else started algae growing since I never let the cl drop below the minimum.
Time to SLAM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.