Is TF-50 Test Kit sufficient?

May 25, 2014
Summerdale, AL
While in Walmart, I picked up a 3-way test kit that tests for Bromine, Chlorine and Ph. Can I just purchase the TF-50 Test Kit now since I already have that other one? And, how many test will the TF-50 test kit do? Will it last me through the summer?

Also, the pool is filled and I have ordered the Salt Water Generator and Sand Filter Pump. Should I be doing anything with the water until I can get the pump and SWG hooked up?

You can see a comparison of the test kits here: Recommended Test Kits

The TF-50 comes with much less CYA and FAS-DPD reagent and does not include the pH test.

If you avoid algae, it might get you through the summer. You should certainly be adding chlorine to the water to avoid problems starting. You also will need to add stabilizer (CYA) if this is a new fill.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, you do not have a bromine pool ... you have a chlorine pool. If that chlorine test is yellow, that is the OTO test like the TF-100 includes. IF it is a pink color matching test, that is a DPD test and that can be bleached out at high FC levels.

I have looked at and compared the test kits. Couldn't I just order the TF-50 Kit ($45.00) and a refill of R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 oz. ($8.00) and come out cheaper than spending $68.00 for the TF-100 Kit just to get more CYA? Is there any other reagent that I will might need more of than what comes in the TF-50 kit? I could also go ahead and order a refill of it, too. Just trying to save money and I wouldn't need the Chlorine or PH test that comes with the TF-100. Just a thought.

I tried to use Pool Math to figure out how much liquid bleach to start putting in the water and it says 118 oz. if I start out with zero with a target of 5. Does that sound correct? And also using zero with a target of 80 for CYA, it is showing 122 oz. of stabilzer. I'm not sure if I am getting an accurate number since this is a new fill with no test results to go by. Each column wants a 'now' number. Do I just put zero in each one and the target number would be what shows in Recommended Levels for SWG pools?

The chlorine test I have is yellow OTO test.

I have looked at and compared the test kits. Couldn't I just order the TF-50 Kit ($45.00) and a refill of R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 oz. ($8.00) and come out cheaper than spending $68.00 for the TF-100 Kit just to get more CYA? Is there any other reagent that I will might need more of than what comes in the TF-50 kit? I could also go ahead and order a refill of it, too. Just trying to save money and I wouldn't need the Chlorine or PH test that comes with the TF-100. Just a thought.

I tried to use Pool Math to figure out how much liquid bleach to start putting in the water and it says 118 oz. if I start out with zero with a target of 5. Does that sound correct? And also using zero with a target of 80 for CYA, it is showing 122 oz. of stabilzer. I'm not sure if I am getting an accurate number since this is a new fill with no test results to go by. Each column wants a 'now' number. Do I just put zero in each one and the target number would be what shows in Recommended Levels for SWG pools?

The chlorine test I have is yellow OTO test.
I'll leave the comparison shopping to you.

How much you need to add depends on how big your pool is (you need to add your signature. Instructions How) and whether or not you intend to chlorinate with bleach or a saltwater generator.

We suggest opening the pool as a bleach pool and get everything balanced and THEN add the salt, raise the CYA, and turn on the SWG.

For a fresh fill, consider FC zero and CYA will be zero unless you added some powdered chlorine or stabilizer already. I'd target only 40 on the CYA initially. It's easy to add more, hard to get rid of the excess. In case you missed it, here are some directions on using poolmath.

The TF-50 should get you through the summer IF (and this is a big IF) you stay on top of your testing and don't allow your FC to get too low for your CYA level and you don't have some sort of incident to allow an algae bloom to occur.

Ok. Figured out how to add signature. :p

FC at zero with a target of 5? shows 188 oz. of bleach.
CYA at zero with a target of 40 shows 61 oz. of stabilizer. Suggestion for where to buy stabilizer and what brand if it matters?

Now, my husband's work schedule is not going to allow him to install the new sand filter pump until possibly this Friday. Today is Tuesday and the pool has been filled for 5 days already with no pump running or anything added to the water. Is it okay to leave the water like this until he gets off or am I going to have a problem already?

I have looked at and compared the test kits. Couldn't I just order the TF-50 Kit ($45.00) and a refill of R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 oz. ($8.00) and come out cheaper than spending $68.00 for the TF-100 Kit just to get more CYA? Is there any other reagent that I will might need more of than what comes in the TF-50 kit?

The TF-50 also has less of the very important FAS-DPD reagents, which also happens to be the most expensive reagents in the kit and those which are not in the test kits usually found locally. You could add the XL option for $15 and be at the same price, without the pH test, but would actually have more of the FAS-DPD and CYA reagents than would come with the TF-100.

- - - Updated - - -

This is actually a pretty compelling shopping list for someone with a pH test already:
TF-50 + R-0013 (8oz) + FAS-DPD XL option = $68

Yes, the kids have been in the pool almost daily for at least a little while splashing around. Is it safe for them to be in the water if liquid bleach is added without a pump moving the water around? Or, is it not really enough (only 109 oz.) of bleach distributed in 10,500 gallons of water to really matter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. That makes sense about adding the bleach. Thanks.

Can Taylor brand R-0013 CYA be used in TF-50/100 test kits? Does it really matter what the brand name is? I found a Taylor Technologies 16 oz. bottle on Amazon for $7.00 + $5.15 shipping. That sounds like a great deal if you can mix up the brands.

Also without circulation should slowly pour the bleach around the perimeter, bleach is heavier than water and will sink until it is mixed, this could leave it in strong concentration at the bottom of the pool below where you pour it and potentially bleach out your liner if it is not stirred.

Ike

I added the bleach yesterday evening and stirred it up pretty good. This morning I went out and now the water is green and I did my first chlorine test. The first time I did it, I forgot to mix it before comparing the yellow color. It looked to be either 3.0 or 5.0 on that test. So I tested it again and mixed it this time. The second time it looks like 1.5, I guess. This is really hard to match these yellow shades. I have not added anything else to the water yet as explained above, just bleach. My husband just worked off at 4am this morning so he will start working on getting the pump hooked up either this afternoon or definitely tomorrow. I will be using a sand filter pump and SWG. What should I be doing now?

Ok. That makes sense about adding the bleach. Thanks.

Can Taylor brand R-0013 CYA be used in TF-50/100 test kits? Does it really matter what the brand name is? I found a Taylor Technologies 16 oz. bottle on Amazon for $7.00 + $5.15 shipping. That sounds like a great deal if you can mix up the brands.

I like to support the owners of this site that have provided me with a ton of help and buy from Duraleigh ..... i'm guessing Amazon won't help much if you have pool issues!

Your description of the OTO chlorine test is exactly why we recommend the test kits we do ... Sure the water is yellow in the test, but very hard to come up with a corresponding number.

You have been told what to do already:
Get the CYA into the recommended range and maintain FC with bleach until the SWG is installed.

Sorry, if I sound stupid here but I am new to the whole pool thing. That's why I am asking questions. I have re-read everything up to this point and will try harder not to ask a question that has already been answered. Sorry!

I have ordered the TF-50 Test Kit but I have not received it yet. I used the OTO test I had already purchased and thought it would be the same test that would have come with the TF-100 Test kit so I didn't purchase that one. I am just a little freaked out by the green water but will be adding CYA shortly. Will that clear up the green water and can I ask how long that should take? I am glad to have this forum to help me but please remember that I know NOTHING about this. That's why I'm here.

Thank you everybody for all of your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.