New Pool Guy here, am I crazy for looking at ordering a kit offline and installing it

Jun 3, 2014
Murfreesboro
Hello all I have been over researching pools and think I can save approx $2000 if I purchase a pool online and install it myself. I would plan on renting a skid steer and dig down, hopfully a few feet, in order to partially bury part of the pool. If I hit something then I would stop there :). The two places I have narrowed it down to liking their website and offerings are thepoolfactory.com and discountpoolsdirect.com. Does anyone have any feedback about them, or have a better recommendation? This is the package I am leaning towards at the first place:
My Pool Package

30'x54" Signature RTL Round Pool
30'x54" Round Uni-Bead Catalina Liner - 25 Gauge
AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump 2 Year Warranty
Grand Entrance Steps with Outside Ladder 400700, 400900
30' Round Peel N' Stick Foam Pool Cove
30' Round Armor Shield Liner Floor Pad
Deluxe Pool Cleaning Kit - 5 Piece
30' Round Supreme Guard Winter Cover
Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light 98605000
- See more at: http://www.thepoolfactory.com/checkout/cart/#items

all for $3690 Is this a good deal, I have picked their top filter and step selection.

The other option from them I like is:

My Pool Package

30'x54" Constellation S Round Pool
30'x54" Round Uni-Bead Catalina Liner - 25 Gauge
AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump 2 Year Warranty
Grand Entrance Steps with Outside Ladder 400700, 400900
30' Round Peel N' Stick Foam Pool Cove
30' Round Armor Shield Liner Floor Pad
Deluxe Pool Cleaning Kit - 5 Piece
30' Round Supreme Guard Winter Cover
Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light 98605000
- See more at: http://www.thepoolfactory.com/checkout/cart/#items

It is for $4212, not sure I can justify the additional cost.

Lastly I see you all are a fan of the BBB method, locally they are pushing prestine blue and permasalt vs chlorine. Please don't kill me but are they alot easier to manage for a brand new person to pools? Thanks for any help you can offer in advance. Oh I I would plan to add decking around most if not all of the pool at some point.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, both of the packages look the same to me ... maybe a copy/paste issue.

Second, adding copper to the water does not make anything easier. You still have to maintain all the other levels with the "bonus" of having to worry about the copper level getting too high and cause ugly staining and green hair. Stick with chlorine. Search the forum for either of those products and you will find a LOT of threads discussing them.

Please, please, please stay away from the Blue.... Neighbor down the street and I put up identical pools last year in May. I used this method all year, they used "Simple Blue". I was swimming in crystal clear water until September. They stopped early in August due to hazy green tinted water and the high costs of all the other magic powders the store tried to sell them.

One other big problem with mineral systems that add copper to the pool water is that copper only helps kill algae it does little or nothing to control potentially dangerous bacteria and viruses that may be in the water. As a result you could have a clear pool that is harboring dangerous pathogens, with a chlorine pool, you can generally safely use algae is a visible guide that the chlorine is doing its job, as chlorine not only kills algae, but also most common types of bacteria and viruses, some just at a slower rate than others.

Ike

Follow the TFPC and you'll swim every day of the summer in beautiful, crystal clear water. Purchase a TF100 and read the articles in Pool School and you can't go wrong!

Yes, you're crazy.

There is no magic potion that will keep your pool perfect with no care.
Pristine Blue is not certified for public swimming pools! But private pools are not regulated.

And I doubt it's that easy, either. Otherwise, why would they need this full line of chemicals?
Full%20Product%20Line%202.jpg

It uses copper. Check the FAQ. Why is there so much emphasis on stains, hmm?
Copper is a great algaecide - there's no question about that. They use copper sulfate in ponds to kill weeds. It's like the Roundup of the aquatic world as far as plant killing. But it doesn't kill bacteria or viruses fast enough to prevent disease transmission person-to-person. Bleach does. And it also kills algae. So why not just use one product for both?

And misleading advertising. Direct quote: "PristineBlue® is environmentally friendly, EPA registered as an algicide/bactericide*and Certified for addition to drinking water by NSF International. " The * footnote says "*Nonpublic Health Bacteria" Too bad the NSF has different standards for swimming pool water and drinking water. Drinking water is NSF 61; Recreational Water is NSF 50. Wouldn't they put it in big bold letters that it was certified for use in recreational waters if it was?

Permasalt also uses copper, and it requires
"1. Weekly water test to balance all levels including alkalinity, pH, calcium, and natural minerals.
5. Shock every other week with one bag of Activate per 10,000 gallons of pool water.6. Add one pint of Klairate per 10,000 gallons directly into pool.
7. The Chamber needs to be replaced approximately every season, or when the "Chamber" indicates."

How much do those potions cost, I wonder?

Here's a lengthy post in Pool School that discusses alternative systems as well: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...s-and-quot-chemical-free-quot-pools-The-Truth!

If you use the search box for "pristine blue" or "Permasalt" you will find many threads about it.

In short, we have a system that works. We refer to it as TFPC. We use it, it works, it doesn't require any secret proprietary ingredients, and most of the stuff is available cheaply at local stores. We practice what we preach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.