Is it a must to have a pool vacuum cleaner & what else?

mmdhar

Jul 26, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, it has been a year since I became a pool owner. Except for first few months and ever since I found this site, I have been maintaining the pool on my own. Thanks for all your help!

Main question I have is... I don't have any trees around (Arizona) my pool, not many in my neighbors houses too. So, leaves are not a problem. But, dust is... I have been brushing my pool every week. But, lately noticing my pool water is not clear as it was last year. Mostly noticing dust at the bottom of the pool. Must every pool owner have a pool Vacuum? My test results are all ok... except CH of about 550 now. But, I read it is normal in Arizona.

What else am I missing? All I do is test every few days and maintain FC, PH ... every week for TA, CH, 3 times year CYA. Brush the pool and clean the baskets every week. what else should I be doing regularly? I have leaf rake but don't have to use those much.

Thanks!

for what it is worth...I have not used the vacuum attachment for my pool in years...I use a Kreepy that runs when ever the pump is on..it is constantly removing anything that settles to the bottom. A vacuum is cheaper however...if you want to devote the time involved using it.........D

Thanks for the quick responses!

My last test results:
FC - 4 - Added bleach to make it 7
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 100 - Reduced PH to 7.2 and ran my falls to raise PH.
CH - 550
CYA - 60

May be I worded it wrong. Sorry, it is not clarity. It mostly floating dust in the water. also, dust on the floor. Other factor, could be that I bought solar cover recently and started using it. Can the Solar cover make the pump inefficient by any degree? The cover is the whole time the pump is running.

I have tall trees at both ends of my pool, junipers on one side, redwoods on the other. I get a lot of small leaves in the pool when the wind blows hard. I remove as much as I can with a leaf rake, and the Polaris gets the rest.

This is my fourth season with a pool, I don't own a vacuum.

A vac helps. It does not need to be an automatic vac, just the hose and head attachment for your skimmer pole will do fine. Pools get stuff in them - dust from the air, pollen, dirt that people track into it, etc.

I have found that while my solar cover helps in keeping some dirt out, it also creates more of a need to vaccum becauseit makes the skimmer less efficent. The solar cover supresses teh circulation of water that moves any debris into the skimmer, instead it lets them settle to the bottom.

-dave

I would think you should have some sort of vac. Heavier sand that will not stay afloat will settle on the bottom and have a hard time finding its way to the drain to get filtered out. Your pool is probably already setup to connect one, so all you would need would be the hose and a vacuum head and use your existing pole. You could probably be good to go for $75. If you want a automatic robot type vac you could spend $$$$.
Mark

You need a vacuum. It can be a handheld that attaches to your skimmer or it can be an auto-vac but you need a vacuum.

Don't leave that solar cover on forever.....pools like to breath. I would suggest 1 day off and two days with it on.

Your numbers look excellent and would not suggest a chemistry problem....looks like you are keeping your chemistry in good control.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need a vacuum. It can be a handheld that attaches to your skimmer or it can be an auto-vac but you need a vacuum.

Don't leave that solar cover on forever.....pools like to breath. I would suggest 1 day off and two days with it on.

Your numbers look excellent and would not suggest a chemistry problem....looks like you are keeping your chemistry in good control.

I agree 100%. Brushing regular is important, but sooner or later what your skimmer is not catching from the brushing is going to build up and will have to be vacuumed. I've never had a need for an auto vac but I can't imagine maintaining a pool long term without some sort of vacuum.

Oops. Sorry guys. Just tried to post a comment that included a link. That was a no-no. Anyway I was trying to visually share, via the link, what I believe is the same vac head from Lowe's (based on price). I purchased one of these early this season and I'm very happy with the performance. If a long life comes with it I'll be even happier.

Oops. Sorry guys. Just tried to post a comment that included a link. That was a no-no. Anyway I was trying to visually share, via the link, what I believe is the same vac head from Lowe's (based on price). I purchased one of these early this season and I'm very happy with the performance. If a long life comes with it I'll be even happier.

Not a no-no at all, but for new members, posts with links require moderator approval before becoming visible in the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.