Jun 7, 2013
southeast
Been using TFPC with my pool for a few months now and have great results

pH 7.5
TC maintained between 4 and 8
CC zero
CYA 50
TA 80

Manually vacuum 2X weekly minimum and brush every other evening upon addition of that evening's bleach

Have been noticing dirty areas in a few consistent spots for the past couple of weeks.
I adjust the returns accordingly, however, still have dirty spots somewhere within about a day of vacuuming

This has concerned me, however, from what I have read on the forum, a sand filter is not the best with regards to filtration and have chalked it up to just having a sand filter

I remember a mention of adding a small bit of DE to a sand filter to increase filtration and was wondering if this, in fact, was a method that was accepted?
Is there a thread already dedicated to this practice?

Thanks in advance

There is an article in Pool School in the How To section on adding DE to a sand filter.

However, your description is not normally a symptom of filtering problems. Stuff tends to accumulate on the bottom from blown in debris regardless of how good a filter you have. Dead algae can also accumulate on the bottom if there are periods when FC is just a little too low.

I use Shock Booster from All Clear that It has polydimetyhldiallyammonium chloride and sodium bromide in it with sand filters, the first time I used it I freaked out thinking all the water was missing from one of my pools the next visit. The water was like glass and less than an ounce was needed (12,000 gal). It does oxidize out some chlorine but wow, cartridge filter clarity without the hassle of cleaning cartridges. I have had good luck with D.E. as well, especially if the filter has lost some efficiency.

There is an article in Pool School in the How To section on adding DE to a sand filter.

However, your description is not normally a symptom of filtering problems. Stuff tends to accumulate on the bottom from blown in debris regardless of how good a filter you have. Dead algae can also accumulate on the bottom if there are periods when FC is just a little too low.

great, thanks
quoting the write up "The very first time you do this, you should keep an eye on the filter pressure for the next 24 hours or so. The improved filtering may quickly catch a lot of very fine particles and send the filter pressure up rapidly."

if this happens and I backwash, won't this backwash the DE out??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.