Completely LOST!

Jul 14, 2008
Ok, first we bought out 24' round above ground, 52" pool last year, at the end of the season. It was never right last year, never completely clean. First off, Rec Warehouse recommended putting sand bags under our steps to stabalize them. I know stupid, stupid :) So, of course sand got all in bottom last year, finally got it all vacuumed out. So, we got to swim maybe a couple of weeks. In our new pool owner ignorance, we didn't cover it. Wow, what a mess. So, at the beginning of the season, started back with about 500.00 worth of Baquacil Crud and still cloudy water.... My husband has been in the nastiness scrubbing walls, vacuuming, cleaning the cartridge filter and still, we are not swimming! So, I have finally come to the conclusion, time for the conversion to chlorine. We bought a new filter, but we are trying to hold off putting it in until after the conversion. The wonderful pool store recommended something that is supposed to "use up" all of the residual baquacil. We added that. I went down and checked earlier, and the psi is at 4! We have 2.5 hp baquapure pump. I took the filter out to see what it was running at and it is only at 15psi.... Totally lost. I need to get the pump going strong before adding the bleach... ANY suggestions???

Thank you all so much!

Hi and welcome to TFP!

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that your normal pressure is 15psi and right now it is only running at 4psi? If so, you need to clean your cartridge. You will have to clean it often during the conversion. You will want to hold off on using the new cartridge until the end of the conversion.

Well, i'm a little confused too LOL :)

On the side of the pump it says that for my 2.5 hp pump, the max psi is 50. My husband said that from the inital start it has been around 20. With the cartridge in, it is at 4??? What is the best way to clean the existing filter? He has hosed it off. We are holding off on using the new filter until after the conversion...

A dirty cartridge raises the pressure, it wouldn't lower it.

Low pressure readings usually mean a suction side blockage. Have you checked that the skimmers are clear, pump strainer basket is clear, and all of the suction side valves (if you have any) are open?

My husband soaked the filter yesterday in dish detergent and water and amazingly the pressure has held today.... So far today we have gone through about 5 shades of brown to green :) So, i think we are going in the right direction. I also went on a voyage looking for the extra strength liquid chlorine, with no luck. and, ugh, I hate the pool store, everytime I walk in one they try to sell me their line of this or that and bash the last product from the store before... Is there anything wrong with just using the chlorine products from walmart???

leeotwell said:
My husband soaked the filter yesterday in dish detergent and water and amazingly the pressure has held today.... So far today we have gone through about 5 shades of brown to green :) So, i think we are going in the right direction. I also went on a voyage looking for the extra strength liquid chlorine, with no luck. and, ugh, I hate the pool store, everytime I walk in one they try to sell me their line of this or that and bash the last product from the store before... Is there anything wrong with just using the chlorine products from walmart???

Thats what most of us use, Wal-mart big jugs 174 oz of 6% bleach now selling for $2.54. They were $2.28 till July 3rd.... :roll: Gas prices are making everything cost more.....LOL

I read on here some wal-marts are selling double packs of 10% chlorine "for pools" in their pool department.

With a baq conversion, before your done youre gonna use a lot more than you think, you better stock up!

So it wasn't the 2 speed thing, just a dirty filter, huh?

I got my 10% at Home Depot - KemTek brand. I've also seen it even at Safeway!

I think I read in another thread that Home Depot sells 12% even in states that don't allow liquid chlorine for pools. They have it for RV use - guess some of those chemical potties take powerful disinfectant!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went yesterday and could not find any liquid bleach that was stronger than 6%. The people at Lowe's acted like I had grown a third arm out of my head... So, I have been using the 4 n 1 shock plus from walmart and just adding about 2 bags three times a day. I also only have the 6 in 1 test strips... I am assuming I need some better source for testing the water? Also, I bought borax and baking soda today, but not sure how much to use... I am off to read some more at the Pool School... thank you all for all of your help. I know we are making progress we are to a cloudy greeny blue color tonight...

leeotwell said:
I went yesterday and could not find any liquid bleach that was stronger than 6%. The people at Lowe's acted like I had grown a third arm out of my head... So, I have been using the 4 n 1 shock plus from walmart and just adding about 2 bags three times a day. I also only have the 6 in 1 test strips... I am assuming I need some better source for testing the water? Also, I bought borax and baking soda today, but not sure how much to use... I am off to read some more at the Pool School... thank you all for all of your help. I know we are making progress we are to a cloudy greeny blue color tonight...

I agree, stick with the 6% bleach, you are better off and it's cheaper.

Borax and Baking Soda serve a specific purpose to raise PH and /or TA. If your numbers don't need adjusting you won't need to add those products. I would post your test numbers and seek advice before adding either one. You may just need bleach right now.

Lastly, you need a good test kit, like the TF-100. A good kit is essential - It's the only way to have complete control of your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.