Only 4-5 PSI on pump system, is this normal?

How do the return jets feel?

Every pool is different, so there is no telling exactly what "normal" is for your pool. However, 4 psi is on the low end of the expected range. That could be normal for you, or there might be a problem.

I tend to suspect the pressure gauge. Those gauges don't tend to last very long.

Did you replace your filter recently? Reason I ask is I switched my 4 filters and went from around 27psi (cleaning them only lasted a couple hours at most) down to around 8psi and 4 when I opened up the waterfall. Jason mentioned the return jets and mine were working great along with the skimmer cleaner (better then ever). Let us know if you end up doing I am curious
Edit
Just realized looks like you have a sand filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filter is a cartridge but with that size filter and that pump, I would expect higher pressure. Has the pressure ever been higher? What is the history?

Thanks for all the replies!

It is a cartridge, and I just purchased and moved into the home 4 days ago. The previous owner said the cartridge is 1 year old and he usually gets 2 years out of them? I have no idea on the history of the PSI rating. I do notice flow out of the jets but I wouldn't know if its strong or not, seems to be pushing water out pretty well though?

Problem is I did a search and noticed people mentioning 10-15 PSI being normal, but of course I figured different pumps / systems are different. I guess as long as the jets are pushing water and the skimmer is sucking it in I shouldn't worry unless it sky rockets from a clogged filter?

Thanks again!

About the only time low pressure is an issue is when you have a clogged impeller or suction line but then you will usually have air in the pump basket. Is that the case?

You have fairly simple plumbing and dual return lines which helps keep the pressure down. What is the filter pressure with one of the two return lines closed?

I have gotten air in the pump basket just after I vacuumed, but I quickly bled out the air using the filter air relief knob? It immediately topped back off and no bubbles were left inside of it. (not sure if this is suppose to even happen)

What position does the return line valve need to be to completely block off 1 line?

Thanks!

It isn't unusual to get air in the pump basket when vacuuming. The suction is higher and so it tends to make things leak air like the pump basket lid.

Turn the return valve 90 degrees so the handle is along one of the two branch pipes. The position it is in now is where you normally want it but I was just curious if you see a large rise in pressure or a small rise in pressure when changing the valve position.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I never notice a change in pressure when adjusting the first control valve to the 3 o'clock position for vacuuming. (following directions left behind) It then has me turn it to the 2 o'clock position. I have watched the gauge and it never moves from 4-5 psi. Do the positions seem correct for vacuuming?

Thank you!

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump shuts off? If you tap the gauge with the pump running, does the gauge keep the same reading?

If no to either of these, you might have a bad gauge.

But the valve I was talking about is on the return side (post filter), not the suction side.

You can't compare a VS pump at low flow rates & low RPM with a single speed pump at full RPM. It just isn't the same.

Pressure is related to the square of the flow rate and RPM. So of course you have low pressure it is expected. Not so for full speed. Change your speed to full speed and see what happens to pressure. Or even just 2300 RPM which is about the equivalent of a 3/4 HP Superpump.

Yes when the pump is off the PSI drops to zero. I have started to shut down the pump at night, but when I start it back up in the morning the filter basket area is near empty and it takes a few minutes with bleeder valve on filter open to get water back into the system. When I shut off the pump am I suppose to be turning valves as well? I know some people have a timer setup which I would love (but the pump seems hardwired straight to the breaker) I just flip the breaker late in the evening.... :confused:

Oh and I forgot about turning the valve off to watch the pressure I will do that tonight!

Thank you!

but when I start it back up in the morning the filter basket area is near empty
That is indicative of an air leak somewhere. Probably in the pump basket lid. The pump should remain full of water when shut off.

When I shut off the pump am I suppose to be turning valves as well?
No need to.

A couple more questions.

How far is it from the equipment to the pool?

How high is the pump relative to the water level in the pool?

Do the returns in the pool have eyeballs? If so, what size?

What is your pump model#? Is it the 3/4 HP full rate or up rated?

Looking at your pictures again, I noticed, that the pressure is really at 6 PSI and depending on the rest of the plumbing and the height of the pump and exact pump model, it might be possible to have 6 PSI of pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.