Can't keep my filter clean to save my life!! frustrated

BauerR

Mar 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
This is my first year with the pool. Last year the water was new.
This year I had a pretty decent amount green on the bottom floor.
I got my PH down to 7.2 and started shocking (10ppm currently.)
Anyway, my starting point of my filter (60 sqft Pentair DE) is 17psi. It will quickly climb up to 32psi with in 2 hours or so and I clean it. I've been doing this for 2 days straight and it's getting old. I should also note that I have 3 skimmers that are covered in stockings. I should also note that I don't even have a charge on my DE filter.
Is this normal? Is there an end in sight?

Your filter is clogging without DE - Can you set to recirculate on a multiport valve while you SLAM?

You're going to have to break it down and clean the grids since you were filtering without DE. See instructions in Pool School.

(It is normal to go through a lot of DE when clearing a swamp - that's why I suggest recirculate. The filter won't clog while your SLAMing then you can vac to waste when the dead algae falls to the bottom. Be sure to brush daily.

I' guessing that you need to do a proper SLAM.

A full set of test results posted here would help, as well.

Do I haveit right that you are running your DE filter without DE in it? That is a good way to end up buying a new set of grids. You should NEVER run a DE filter without media in it.

Perfect, this is the second bad advice I got from a 20 year pool owner. He said to not run DE when doing initial cleaning. I'm gonna assume my grids are done because I"ve been running it like this for 2 days. I'm mad too because I just bought them last year.

Can they be cleaned and how? Anyway to tell if they're worth saving?

You can clean them with a good soaking with the dish washing detergent you use in dishwashers. Buy the cheap powder stuff at WalMart and soak the grids in a big garbage can with the warm soapy water and see how that helps.

You have now learned a lesson the hard way. Lets hope it doesn't cost you new grids. :( I'm sorry.

Read this :lookhere: Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Sorry about the bad advise from that other pool owner.

May I suggest you look at some of the pool pics people have posted here on the forum? Then ask yourself if the other pool owner's water looks as good as what most of us here have. Can he tell what screws he has in his bottom drain from poolside, or see heads or tails on a quarter through 8' of water? That's what most of us here are able to achieve.

Follow the advise here, and yours will look like that too.

if you don't have either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kits, you really should get one or the other. Kits are available at http://TFtestkits.net

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.