Clear Balance

Mar 23, 2014
louisville,ky
i really like this stuff. but would like to hear from more people. i have used it for the past 3 years. and unless i slip up and for get to check my levels and add when needed my pool stays clean and clear. i dont shock or slam/ and have yet to use ph + or -.

Re: Arm & Hammer Clear Balance

i go by the stablizer ppm reading on my test strips.
It's not stabilizer. Cyanuric acid is stablizer. baking soda is fine for adjusting TA but it should never be confused with the function of CYA which is to protect chlorine.

The Arm and Hammer Pool Owner's Guide isn't all that bad aside from the fact that they:

Ignore the CYA/FC relationship when recommending minimum FC and "super-chlorinate" levels.
State that you shouldn't swim after "super-chlorinating" for 18 hours. (This would only be true if there was very little or no stabilizer/CYA)
Have outdated bleach concentrations and dosing recommendations
Mainly recommend using Baking Soda for raising pH (instead of Washing Soda, which they also manufacture!)

This website lists the ingredients on the label as:

Sodium Bicarbonate.....86.60%
Clarifier And Other Ingredients.....13.40%

Arm & Hammer describes their Clear Balance product in this link where you can read a Pool Owner's Guide which goes into more detail. Basically, the product is just baking soda plus a clarifier. The talk about pH is about pH stability (i.e. buffering). This product would mostly be used with Trichlor to keep the TA higher, though realistically one could use a pH Up product to balance TA and pH at the same time at a not-so-high TA level. If you use baking soda, the TA would have to be quite a bit higher to only use this product to maintain the TA and pH at the same time.

all i know is that this year all i have used is chlorine auto feeder and the arm and hammer tabs. and it has been clear, stable ph, and my free chlorine has stayed in range. even after storms. i dont know how the test strips show a reading on the cya with only using these tabs, but i just know it works. years before i would take a sample down to the pool store every month. they would analyze it and sell me almost 100$ worth of stuff. and still not get my pool clear. i will keep you updated, this year i am only going to use this and chlorine. and with being in KY it will be a good test.

What "chlorine auto feeder" are you referring to? If it's a tablet feeder, that's stabilized chlorine which adds 6 ppm CYA for every 10 ppm FC.

well that must be it, i have never read anywhere that stabilized chlorine add cya. my auto feed is a gutted aqua smart system. i have driled out the mineral thing, and cut the bottom open enough to fit the 3" tabs into it. seems with out throwing a bunch of chemicals into the pool this year(that the pool stores say i need after testing my water) my fc/ph, and over all clarity of the pool is way better. to open all i did was turn the auto feed on high,these arm and hammer tabs, and some clarifier. until my fc came into normal range. guess i will stop using the cya gauge to judge when to add the arm and hammer tabs.

off topic question. i thought i had my settings to email me when i get responses but i have yet to get any. got one saying my arm and hammer topic was highjacking the old topic about arm and hammer. but none saying i have a response

Cyanuric Acid (CYA) is what makes chlorine stabilized. Just a heads up, you're probably going to run into problems once your CYA level starts getting to 60 and above, especially if you're not following the FC/CYA levels chart.

As far as the thread split, I'm guessing it's because you were not the original poster about the Clear Balance product. The original thread was probably preserved for informational purposes. I think you have to subscribe to a thread to get email notifications.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your 3" chlorine tabs are adding both chlorine and CYA (stabilizer) as they dissolve. The chlorine gets used up sanitizing your pool, and it's continuously being replaced by new chlorine coming from newly dissolved tabs. The CYA however does not get used up. Instead it builds up, day after day after day. At first that's not a problem, a little CYA is a good thing, but gradually the CYA builds, and builds, and builds, to the point where there is too much of it and it blocks the action of your chlorine. You will eventually get to the point where you start getting algae growth even though you have a lot of chlorine present. The built up high levels of CYA block the action of the chlorine and it will act as if there was no chlorine at all.

Right now your seeing and thinking everything is great, and for the time being it is. Just be aware that down the road you will have problems with excess CYA and the only way to solve that will be to drain and replace large portions of your pool water, possibly an expensive solution, depending on where you live.

If you want to avoid that scenario you should get a proper test kit and cut back on the use of 3" tabs, and instead use liquid chlorine (bleach) for a large portion of your chlorine supply. It's all very well explained in the Pool School portion of this website.

Reactions: JoniTull
but with out adding any cya (besides the chlorine tabs) how would it get that high? i feel im doing good just to get it to read any.

If you think about the tabs as being 1/3 chlorine, 1/3 CYA and 1/3 other stuff that'll give you a pretty good idea. There's actually a bit more chlorine than CYA but not a lot more.

As gtemkin said, the chlorine gets used up quickly but the CYA does not, so the CYA is going to build up fast.

i do use a proper test kit. i have never had the cya go over the 30-50ppm. i feel i have been lucky to even get that mark. maybe i am using different chlorine tabs then what you guys are.

what i have been using.

KIMG0091.jpg

what i just ordered to be used after first is used.
KIMG0092.jpg

my test strips.
Select_Kit.jpg

Those are what we call trichlor, standard chlorine tablets. They constantly add CYA to the water (in addition to adding chlorine and lowering PH).

The CYA level goes up slowly, but it keeps right on going up. Eventually it will get too high (unless you have a lot of water replacement).

iceman681,

If my pool behaved as well as yours for as little you do, I wouldn't change a thing, either.

It is certainly not what we suggest to folks and it has no real application for this forum but it sounds like you have a great pool with great-looking water. Enjoy your swim season.:D

well i have a new question. does anyone think that the clear balance is some how reducing the cya? or is that nuts?. i am in no way trying to argue. i truly do not understand what i am doing that makes everything being said in here not apply to my pool. i have used 3 different test strips/ and taken it to a pool store to have the water tested. my cya is always low.

rereading some things. i dont know how many gallons. but during jul,and aug i do have to top off the pool 4-6 inches due to splash out and evaporation. maybe every 2 weeks. depending how hot and dry its been.

ClearBalance will not affect CYA at all either way.

Topping off due to evaporation will not affect the CYA level. CYA doesn't evaporate, so all the CYA that is there at the start will still be there the whole time.

Test strips, and pool stores, are not reliable for measuring CYA levels.

how does cya disappear during the winter? i have read and reread the pool school on cya and you all have told me more then i read in there. have even done searches on cya and every one seam to argue about how to reduce, it. I really am questioning all this so heavily because this is the first year i didnt do an opening "kit" i just put my auto feed on high, added 24oz of algae side, and a gallon of cya. now from the start of this topic i have just now reached the 30-50 mark of cya on my test strip, meaning a month .( i now you all dont like the strips but i watched 5 videos where they used my strips compared to a dropper tester with the same result). is there a chart for using the liquid chlorine? didnt see one

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.