Poking up through liner

Apr 22, 2013
-Well after a couple stressful weeks. My pool is ready!
-I sunk my pool in the ground 2.5+ feet. It looks great.
-When I got in I notice something poking up through the liner. It looks/feels like a root poking. It's not sharp, but has a slight point. It has not punctured the liner yet, but it is stressing me.
-Any advice? Should I let it be? I was thinking about tapping it with a rubber mallet??

I think draining it is out of the question at this point...
I've been trying to research it and what I'm finding out is to take a small piece if wood and hammer it down. Kinda worried this would puncture the liner..

I would agree with Jeff405. If it were me, I would drain it and make it right. Otherwise, mother nature will drain it herself in a matter of time and you will be having to patch or purchase a new liner. I don't think the warranty will cover that type of damage. It's Just not worth the risk to hope it will be ok. I know its not the answer you want to hear.

Trust me, if you leave it under the liner, every single person who gets in your pool will find it and step on it.

I've been trying to research it and what I'm finding out is to take a small piece if wood and hammer it down. Kinda worried this would puncture the liner..

I don't see how you are going to remedy this if you put a hole in the liner trying to tamp this root or whatever it is down. If in fact it is a root that is still rooted, there is no way you will get rid of it while the pool is full. I guess you'll just have to deal with it poking the liner until it comes through.

Depending on how much it is poking upward and IF you can figure out the direction/angle of the root you MIGHT and I emphasize MIGHT be able to get it to lay down enough to prevent damage to the liner. But ONLY if it is laying nearly parallel to the liner and ONLY if your ground is soft enough to get it to sink into the earth. (Imagine a stick laying on the ground under your liner. You might be able to "mash" it flat.) And then ONLY IF you can manage to get enough force through your arm to your hammer while swinging it through water while trying to keep yourself on the bottom of your pool.

HOWEVER, if it is sticking closer to straight up (more perpendicular to the liner), you'll never be able to hammer it back down with out damaging your liner. I'm afraid if I had the same problem I would feel most comfortable draining and crawling under to dig down below grade and cut the root off. I just really don't see the board and hammer trick working out in favor of your liner.

Also keep in mind if you do manage to get it to lay down, it is still going to have a little bit of upward force on it against your liner.

Basically, the hammering down of the root is a bunch of if's might's and but's. Honestly, I don't see this working out anyway other than draining. Sorry. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.