Pump not priming with Solar turned on

Jun 2, 2014
Huntington Beach
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have an inground pool with a Hayward variable speed pump, a pentair filter and a solar heating system. I am having an issue with the solar heating. The pump will not prime when the solar is turned on. If I close that valve and "turn off" the solar the pump primes right away. If I then open the solar valve after the pump is primed it will purge the air out of the system and work. I just cleaned my filter. It seems when the water drains the next day it just cant prime with the solar on. It worked fine last season so I'm pretty stumped. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

Is there a check valve between the filter and the solar heater valve. The check valve keeps the pump from losing prime when it shuts off and keeps the back flow of water from washing DE back through the inlet pipe. Also make sure there is a bypass hole in the solar heater valve so the panels can drain completely if the pump shuts off with the solar valve in the off position.

skeeter

It is a manual valve. There is a check valve between the filter and the solar heater valve. It's weird. After the pumps primed the solar works, and after a few hours it will start up and prime withe solar on. The next morning however it won't catch a prime. I'm not sure what a bypass hole in the valve is, but I can hear the water drain after the system is off. I have six panels on the 2nd story. Thanks for the help !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.