Bleach turned pool green?!

lnr81

Jun 2, 2014
Indiana
Saturday we bought and set up a small 10x30 ring pool for my daughter. Today when my husband checked the chlorine it was at 0 and the ph was right around where it needed to be at 7.2. My husband was reading a couple sites (not sure if this was one or not) and he found a calculator that told him for the 1380 gallons he should use 4 cups of bleach. He put the bleach in with the pump running, when he went back out less than an hour later to put the cover on for the night the once clear water had a green tint to it. The water isn't cloudy or murky looking just green. Does anyone know what happened or how we can fix it? Do we need to just drain and start over? The bleach is the only thing he's put in the pool since Saturday night when we got it set up.

When testing it today the chlorine side turned orange which wasn't on the chart and the ph was at 8.2. I took the cover off this morning and it has been in the sun all day still green tinted but can see clearly to the bottom. I'm wanting to drain and refill the husband is determined to see this through.

That means your FC is higher than 5ppm ... likely up around 20ppm I think ... how did it get so high? If the FC > 10ppm, then the pH test will also read artificially high.

FYI, start using PoolMath. 4 cups raised your FC by 15ppm (if it was 8.25% bleach). That is WAY too high with no stabilizer in the water (I am assuming you have not added this yet).

Read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.