Help identifying sand filter make/model

Jul 11, 2013
Amarillo, TX
I picked up this sand filter last season after my included Intex cartridge filter went bad. It is working fine, but was missing the bottom cap when I got it. I was able to get it sealed up pretty well, but it still leaks a little and I would like to find the part. The last picture shows the cap I am talking about. I tried to find one at the hardware store, but the connector is flat on the sides instead of being completely round. The tank is 21" diameter.

Here are the pics, I uploaded to my Dropbox as they were too small when I scaled them for the site:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cljlu8n8lm0d1kl/AAAbb3QaMfZQ2G3N1bYkduura

In case the pics are hard to read, the motor is a GE 5KH36JN3032 and the valve is a Praher TM-12-L

I drew a picture because it s difficult to explain. This is what it would look like from the bottom of the drain:
View attachment 30218
It's like a normal threaded end, but with 2 sides cut off. The middle drain plug needs some sort of rubber plug I believe, and the cap holds it on. I was able to find a rubber plug that fit pretty well, but the threads are very fine and I tried pretty much every PVC type cap of the correct size from the hardware store.

Looks similar to my cooper sand filter which came with the exact same valve. Take a measurement and call 1-877-903-POOL to see if there's are the same size. There current models on their website are black but my old one is gray like yours.

I have a connection with Cooper and know the Cooper product. This is an old W. Cooper tank and valve, with a non-Cooper base. Older tanks are grey. Newer ones are black. The drain cap is a standard 1 1/2" threaded cap, but there is a gasket that Cooper puts in the cap to seal it. Looks like a mini hockey puck (maybe because Cooper is canadian?). Give them a call for info. 877-903-7665.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.