New Haven, KY
Got my test kit and got the following results:

FC: .5
CC: .5
TC: 1.0
PH: 7.2
Alk: 130
CYA: 20

I have been putting 1 121 oz jug of 8.25 bleach in everyday for about 3 or 4 days until my test kit came.

I need chlorine and CYA bad I think????

Any suggestions? I am about to plug it in poolmath and see what it says.

Thanks!

Sam

OK, sorry about that....got it in the sig now...I think.

Pool is still pretty clear, there is still some fuzzy stuff on bottom, mostly around edges.

I just dumped another 121oz of 8.25% bleach in tonight (after test)

The pool has a LOT of trees around it, not sure if that will have an effect on where I need to keep my chemistry.

- - - Updated - - -

Signature didn't take.....try 2...sorry

- - - Updated - - -

30' Above Ground Pool-approximate 4' deep 20,000 gallons (Watson's)-lots of trees
1.5 HP pump/motor (High/Low) 175 SQ FT Cartridge Filter
AQUA SMARTE Chlorine System - not active

Which chlorine test are you using? The one where you match the colors, or the one where you mix a powder and count drops? If the powder, it should start bright pink and go clear as you add drops.

Do you have a specific question? Yes, you need to keep chlorine in the pool. How much depends on the CYA level.

If all the algae is gone, the CYA level needs to come up to about 40 if you use bleach, 70 or so if you have a saltwater generator. If there is still some algae, you will need to SLAM to kill it all first, then raise CYA.

I did both, but I got my reading from the drop test. It was barely pink so I would think it would be more like .2 or.3 on the chlorine. This pool is eating chlorine, according to the poolmath i should be able to add 90oz and raise the FC by 2.5, but that never happens even when I add 121oz.

Based on what I have deducted from my reading on here I am thinking i need to keep the pool at a shock level, like 7.0 and scrub the sides and bottom and vacuum for a day or two to make sure i get all the Algae out??

Does this sound right? Is the algae gobbling up my chlorine? The pool isn't turning green but I do still have some of the "dust bunnies" on the bottom and maybe on the sides at the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it safe to get in the pool to clean at shock level?

It's safe at anything just below shock level. If you do go in at or slightly above shock level, you might get some skin irritation, depending on your sensitivities. It may also bleach your suit or whatever clothes you have on at that level so either let it drop JUST below shock level or wear stuff you don't like, strip down and rinse off very well after.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.