Newbie needs help with water analysis

May 28, 2014
Jackson NJ
Hi all Thanks in advance, I opened my pool this year with well water , I shocked the pool and the water turned like a brown / green , then I added metal out as per the required gallons of pool water , within 24 hrs. the water cleared up completely. Vacuming and flushing the de filter and reloading the water is still clear . While waiting for my TF-100 kit to arrive I took a sample to my local Leslies pool center and here are their results :
Leslies:
FAC=4
TAC=4
PH=8
TA=80
CYA=0
CH=120
TDS=500
they had me add 2Gal of conditioner (Stabilizer) good for 20,000gal

My TF100 test kit arrived today and here are My results :

PH=7.2/7.3
CL=3 to 4
Chlorine drop test =4
CC=0
CH=125ppm
TA=200
CYA=almost 50
Water is sparkling clear.

What now ?
On the pool Math what is borates ?
How do you measure borates ?
How do they come into play with the other readings ?
Am I completely off base ?

any help is completely appreciated in breaking ties with the box stores ,
thanks Rich

Last edited:
How many times did you do your own test? I would be more inclined to go with your results rather than the pool store.... Borates.... Do you have any dogs or pets or small children that drink the water? If so, hold off on adding borates.... Borates are an optional enhancement that helps control PH drift, keeps algae in check, and provides various subjective water quality/feel improvements. If you are not intentionally using borates there is no need to test for them. When using borates, the recommended level is between 30 and 50 ppm.

Here's the thread you want to read....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/4655-So-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-Why-and-How

And welcome to TFP... :)

Hello Rich. Welcome to TFP.

Since your CYA is already 50, do not use any stabilized chlorine such as tablets or powder shock with dichlor. You're at the max and you should stick with liquids.

Since you are just beginning, I would urge you to disregard the borates for now until you get to know your pool a little better. The borates can be used as an algaecide to keep algae at bay and gives the water a cleaner, clearer appearance. They are not necessary atm or if ever. Borates can be measured with test strips specifically for borates. If you have cats or dogs who like to drink from the pool, they should not be intro'ed because they can poison the animal.

Keep your chlorine between 4ppm-6ppm.

Welcome! :wave:

I'd just leave it where it is and go swimming. Don't forget that the chlorine will go down every day. You've got another mouth to feed!

Borates and salt for feel are totally optional, and I don't bother with either.

Next time you test TA, wipe the tip with a damp paper towel. You could have some static electricity on the bottle since it's fresh. It will make the drops smaller so the TA reads artificially high.

I took my time and tested the water once following the directions that came with the kit,
No one will intentionaly drinks the water and animals don't have access to it, I would rather not go there if no need too . I would like to nail the basics down first.
How do the test results look ,?
what would you recommend in adjusting the results to optimum

thanks Rich

Bring your FC up to 6 n go swimming. Your test results are good. :goodjob:

You are so welcome! If you ever have questions, issues or anything, just ask and we'll be here to help. :cool:

I wanted to liquid Clorox bleach to raise my FC to 6 , but the wife only has concentrated Clorox bleach, at 6% it says to add 89 oz , at 8.25% it says to add 65oz , does anyone know what the concentrated Clorox bleach is rated at. I have 55oz of concentrated , should I just it all in ??

Rich

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You HAVE to be kidding me! I have been using Clorox from Sam's Club and I can't get my FC to slam levels. I just bought my 30 more jugs of the stuff (after using 60) and NOW I find out it's the wrong stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.