Run Status Contact on a Pentair MasterTemp Heater?

Jul 7, 2012
Southeastern IL
Last year I replaced my single speed pump with a Jandy 2 speed pump, I have an issue when running the pump on low speed when the heater, a Pentair MasterTemp 200 is in service. The heater operates fine, but my Jandy AquaPure 1400 goes in to fault due to the high temperature it sees with the low water flow. Everything works fine when the pump is on high speed.

I would like to have the pump automatically switch to high speed when the heater turns on, I don’t have any automation on my pool so I’m looking for a run status contact on the heater that I can use to drive an interposing relay to switch the pump speed to high when the heater turns on and back to low when the heater turns off. Based on the MasterTemp operating manual it doesn’t have an apparent status contact but I would appreciate it if someone that is familiar with this heater could confirm that there are not any contacts available that are not shown in the operating manual.

If there are not any available contacts my next choice is to use the 120 vac to the blower motor to drive a relay and create my own status contact. I would connect to the F2 terminal highlighted in the ladder diagram.
Pentair Ladder Diagram.jpg

My thoughts for using this circuit to drive the status contact are that using the blower motor contact would allow the pump to switch to high speed prior to heater ignition, when the blower starts for the pre-ignition purge, and leave the pump on high while the heater is going through its post-ignition purge, allowing a short time for additional cooling before the pump switches back to low speed.

Has anyone done this previously? Does anyone have a better solution?

Thanks for any assistance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.