INTEX 16x32x52 OWNERS any advise??????

tmwjmw

May 19, 2014
Hoboken GA
We just ordered our new Intex pool 16x32x52. We have an 18ft round at the moment. For our current pool we had a pro level it and just used tarping under it and cement blocks for the legs and not one single issue. With this larger pool i am so excited and a little scared to be honest. Any advise from current rectanglar pool owners is appreciated. We have a 2650 sand pump, salt water system, and a Hayward skimmer ready to install on the new pool. I do plan to hire someone to level and actually a few inches further down being its a few inches taller so our deck will butt up to it better. Also if anyone could share their after install landscaping that would be greatly appreciated too.

G'day :), I have the 18 x 9 x 52" rectangle pool... :) Congratulations on your new pool.... I love mine... :) We are in the process of levelling it ourselves. The one big thing about your pool you need to understand is your pool is going to weigh 54 tonnes.... That's A LOT of weight, so the legs need to be supported.... My pool will weigh 17 tonnes so I've decided to go with railway sleepers to go underneath my legs... Dimensions are 3 metres long, 20cm wide and 75mm thick.... :)

Enjoy setting up your new pool, you're going to love it as much as your last.... :)

I'm doing a slow install as my summer isn't until November... :)

Lacy I was reading your build earlier. Looks great. We are having someone do that. Lucky for me a customer offered. I used pavers last time that worked for leveling. I hate you can feel them under the liner. This shouldn't be an issue since this is rectangular and not oval. Are you doing and foam or pad? We didn't last time and are debating on this build.

I would suggest, that if you're going to use pavers, you get very thick ones. These Intex rectangular pools are snapping 1 inch thick pavers in half from the weight.

Hi there, I don't think you understand the concept of how heavy your pool is going to be.... 2 inch pavers will snap like a twig, your pool is going to weigh 54 tonnes.... That's 54 elephants...... You'll need something thicker to support the weight.....

And no its not over kill... I've chosen 30mm thickness... :)

I would suggest, that if you're going to use pavers, you get very thick ones. These Intex rectangular pools are snapping 1 inch thick pavers in half from the weight.

That is the truth! We just installed the 24X12X52 on those 1.5" thick pads and 4 of them broke in half from the weight. We had to entirely drain the pool and put in 4" trailer pads to hold the weight.

Ok so we visited our local lowes and i have done MORE reading and research based on ya'lls input. What about this, I found 16x16x4 concrete pads. If I use those and make a total surround of the perimeter of the pool and then fill the base that the liner will set on with mason sand and level the sand/pavers at the the exact same level should this work? Are those pads big and thick enough?

4 inches should do the job.... :) You might want to look at foam underneath your pool instead of sand... Sand has a tendency to wash away as it can behave like a liquid :) They're a little bit more expensive, but it will last for ever and makes it very nice underfoot in the pool.... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will fair much better with the 4" thick pavers. We've seen too many members upset when their rectangular Intex pools snapped pavers after filling.

+1 on the foam. Sand is just not a suitable base, especially for the Intex Pools. It's different when the sand is contained within the wall of a pool, but in the case of the Intex pool, it is not being contained and can wash out.

We have decided no go for sand and my only problem with foam is my husband says after a couple years with that much weight foam will flatten. We leave up our pool year round and don't want to tear it down to replace foam. Has anyone used padding like they use underneath carpet? I saw that in lowes and thought hmmmm???? Any thoughts on that? Foam is going to eventually flatten but this padding is made to be walked on for years.

Its supposed to flatten... :) Its there for that reason, designed to be crushed.... It just to make it a little softer underfoot... And better than a gorilla pad.... There's not many things on the planet that wont be squashed by 54 tonnes of water.... :) Reassure your hubby its ok if that happens.... You're not supposed to have a soft spongy floor, it just meant to feel nice.... :)

And yes I used carpet underlay just this summer gone... Its gets wet, and mouldy :-( My pool was smaller last year, it only weighed 9 tonnes, and the underlay was crushed so fast, you could barely feel it under the pool.....

I would use the foam. You would be surprised how low the ground pressure is under the floor of the pool. The legs on the rectangular pools, however, are a different story. They will have a much higher ground pressure than the pool floor. Definitely go with the 16*16*4 pavers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PJ, we talked to a pool builder about our pool construction on Saturday. My husband asked him about just doing a concrete pad under the pool. His reply to us was total over kill. He suggested we use mason sand and the 4" paver and we'd be fine. I tend to agree because he's a engineer he should know what is best for the construction of a pool. So at this point we are going with is suggestion. My build will be delivered on June 13th so we still planning when to put it up. I am even having second thoughts about tearing down the 18x48 until the end of the season. It's just perfectly level and no problems at all with it. I may just hold off till spring next year so we are not rushed at all. It's just been so darn pretty here in s.e. georgia it's so nice to go home to our new deck and pool. The thought of having to start new construction and tearing up the yard, plumbing, adding more deck and more electrical during the season when we want to use it kinda has be thinking just to wait.

PJ, we talked to a pool builder about our pool construction on Saturday. My husband asked him about just doing a concrete pad under the pool. His reply to us was total over kill. He suggested we use mason sand and the 4" paver and we'd be fine. I tend to agree because he's a engineer he should know what is best for the construction of a pool. So at this point we are going with is suggestion. My build will be delivered on June 13th so we still planning when to put it up. I am even having second thoughts about tearing down the 18x48 until the end of the season. It's just perfectly level and no problems at all with it. I may just hold off till spring next year so we are not rushed at all. It's just been so darn pretty here in s.e. georgia it's so nice to go home to our new deck and pool. The thought of having to start new construction and tearing up the yard, plumbing, adding more deck and more electrical during the season when we want to use it kinda has be thinking just to wait.

We have mason sand under our 20' X 52" Intex. If you go with mason sand, make sure you have a way to contain it. It WILL wash out if you don't. If I would have had more time and monetary resources I would have definitely used foam board.

PJ, we talked to a pool builder about our pool construction on Saturday. My husband asked him about just doing a concrete pad under the pool. His reply to us was total over kill. He suggested we use mason sand and the 4" paver and we'd be fine. I tend to agree because he's a engineer he should know what is best for the construction of a pool. So at this point we are going with is suggestion.

If he's suggesting sand under an intex pool with no frame to hold the sand in place, he doesn't sound like he's installed many intex pools.... Where will the sand go when it rains? It will channel and pool and take the sand with it. That doesn't happen with regular round or oval AGP's as the sand is contained within the walls..... Intex pools have nothing to contain the sand as the liner stands alone with a support frame..... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.