Need help on new Taylor test kit-chlorine test stays pink...

Jun 14, 2013
Hi all,

First time using new Taylor testing kit and I feel like I'm doing something wrong with the chlorine test. I added the 2 tiny scoops for the powder stuff and the water turns pink. I then add the drops, one at a time to determine FC. After about 20 drops, I stopped(water was still pink), as I felt like I was using too much. I added chlorine a week ago, and it was very sunny this weekend. In process of raising cya, but estimate that it's around 20. I just find it hard to believe that FC is still so high. Is there something else that would cause the reading to be off?

Thanks!

Assuming you are using the Taylor K2006. Swirl the water after adding the powder. Ensure you are using the brown bottle (R-0871) for your drops after the powder. Make sure you swirl the sample after each drop. Using a 10mL water sample with the 20 drops will provide you with 10ppm of FC, which isn't all that high. (High if you haven't added chlorine in a week). If you used a 25mL sample then 20 drops is a FC of 5. You can always double check yourself with the OTO test if you have a kit. There are cheap at almost any department store.

Assuming you are using the Taylor K2006. Swirl the water after adding the powder. Ensure you are using the brown bottle (R-0871) for your drops after the powder. Make sure you swirl the sample after each drop. Using a 10mL water sample with the 20 drops will provide you with 10ppm of FC, which isn't all that high. (High if you haven't added chlorine in a week). If you used a 25mL sample then 20 drops is a FC of 5. You can always double check yourself with the OTO test if you have a kit. There are cheap at almost any department store.

That should be 4, not 5.

Thanks for all the replies. I did a few tests over the past week, using both the large and smaller amounts, trying to figure out which was better. I think I had it in my head that the last test using the 25ml sample would require fewer drops. My pool water is still very cold, so that must also be helping to maintain the chlorine levels.
Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.