HELP -- NO Free Chlorine reading and phosphates -- pool store not helping

Vblatt

Jun 2, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi There,

I could not be more frustrated. I have read a few of the email chains and I am having the same issue that I had 2 years ago -- my pool water is very cloudy, I can see some algae in the corners, and I cannot get a FC reading. We went to the pool store and they said we have phosphates (reading of 1200) and that we need to buy a phosphate remover. well after $600 dollars of phosphate remover 2 years ago, nothing helped, so I slammed the pool based on the recommendation form this site and finally got the pool in working condition. I am trying to do the same now, but having trouble getting a FC reading -- can you help me determine how much bleach I should put in initially and then how I should look athe reading to determine the rest. Here are the latest readings:

TC: 10
FC: 0
PH 6.9
Total Alkalinity: 140
Calcium Hardness: 300
Stabilizer: 40

Thanks you for any help that you can give.

I should mention that the pool is 18X36, about 25,000 gallons has a liner and we have a Hayward Sand filter.

Also, we have had this pool for 14 years and NEVER an issue until 2 years ago. UGH!!!

Signed, SO Frustarted!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Your TC cannot be 10 with an FC of 0....review your post for typos or review your test methods.

With a CYA of 40 ppm, your SLAM value for chlorine is 16 ppm. That means you have to hold 16 ppm FC until your pool clears.

The SLAM process is as simple as following the SLAM article to a "T" up in Pool School. When that process is complete, your pool will be crystal clear.

Thank your for the reply, and thanks for the welcome. That reading is from the pool store :confused: What would this reading mean then???

We just bought our own test kit, so I will do my own test when I get home. I will send the pics too. Thanks for your help., I will keep you updated.

Hi There,

I could not be more frustrated. I have read a few of the email chains and I am having the same issue that I had 2 years ago -- my pool water is very cloudy, I can see some algae in the corners, and I cannot get a FC reading. We went to the pool store and they said we have phosphates (reading of 1200) and that we need to buy a phosphate remover. well after $600 dollars of phosphate remover 2 years ago, nothing helped, so I slammed the pool based on the recommendation form this site and finally got the pool in working condition. I am trying to do the same now, but having trouble getting a FC reading -- can you help me determine how much bleach I should put in initially and then how I should look athe reading to determine the rest. Here are the latest readings:

TC: 10
FC: 0
PH 6.9
Total Alkalinity: 140
Calcium Hardness: 300
Stabilizer: 40

Thanks you for any help that you can give.

I should mention that the pool is 18X36, about 25,000 gallons has a liner and we have a Hayward Sand filter.

Also, we have had this pool for 14 years and NEVER an issue until 2 years ago. UGH!!!

Signed, SO Frustarted!

First things first, did the numbers listed above come from a pool store? If so, you NEED to get a good quality test kit–either a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100–ASAP. There is NO OTHER WAY to properly and consistently measure what's going on in your pool. The pool store–as you found out–can never know your pool as well as you do/will. If these numbers came from your own testing, be certain your testing chemicals have been stored properly, i.e., have NOT been exposed to extremes of temperature, etc.. The next thing to do is to read, reread, and read again these Pool School articles:

1. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

2. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/118-solving-problems

3. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator

The last article has an embedded link to the Pool Math calculator. You can enter your pool size, finish and chemistry test data into the calculator and it will give you amounts of chemicals to add based on what you need to do to clear/balance your pool.

I am not an expert but you can ignore the phosphate numbers. Removing the phosphates won't kill the algae–only chlorine will. So don't waste any more money at the pool store. I would recommend getting a lot of bleach (10-15 gallons) to ready for the SLAM process. There are many experts on this forum and, if you follow their advice, you'll have a clean, trouble-free pool.

Lastly, you will need some POP (Pool Owner Patience) for any chemical process to work. You didn't get algae overnight and you won't be rid of it overnight either.

Good luck! :calm:

Listen to duraleigh!

Last edited:
Ok, thing one get your pH up to the normal range, then worry about the rest, if you don't have a good quality test kit, get one, see my signature for the TF-100 link. In general our experience has shown that pool store testing is often about as reliable as a ouji board, so having your own quality test kit is the only practical solution to these sorts of problems.
Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.