Hayward Astrolite Voltage

May 8, 2014
South Carolina
Good afternoon -

Bought a new home in January and have been slowly figuring out the issues with the pool. I have what I believe to be a Hayward Astrolite 580 Niche Light. The marking on the light housing doesn't have the specific model checked. In trying to figure out why the light wasn't working I pulled the housing and checked voltage. I have 120V in the junction box feeding the light and 9.8v in the light socket of the lamp. Do these lights have a transformer to cut the voltage in-line or in the base of the lamp housing? I'm assuming this is a 12v fixture, but I can't figure out the voltage drop. Whomever changed the bulb last time put a standard 120v flood light bulb in it and that wasn't working. Any assistance is much appreciated!

photo 1.jpg

I don't have any specific knowledge about these lights but the Hayward literature for incandescent and halogen versions infers by a complete lack of of any specifics that they are probably for external transformer applications. That makes your 9.8V reading at the socket kinda strange if the fixture cord is actually being fed 120V. Is there any chance the 9.8V is a false floating voltage measurement because the neutral isn't connected? Not sure how the optional over temp protection works but if it's tripped and not self-resetting, it may have something to do with it. These are grasps in the air ideas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.