Channel Drain between cement and flagstone

Jul 30, 2013
Oklahoma
Hello all. I previously posted regarding the mortar coming up between the flagstone and concrete, caused by the expansion/contraction of the concrete without an expansion joint. However, I have a new problem/fix for this. In NW Oklahoma we haven't gotten much rain in several months, and last night we got nearly 4 inches in a few hours. This caused me to notice the water ponding terribly and lots of surface runoff into the pool. I am thinking a trench/channel drain is my best cure. I would like to put it between the concrete and flagstone by chipping out the flagstone and placing the drain between. And recommendations on processes to do this or products that will help solve both my ponding issue and also the cracking mortar issue? I can repost images ad I believe my previous three was deleted or moved.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for posting the link to my other post, I was posting from my phone earlier today and couldn't get it found. That is one of the systems I was looking at. So basically I would chip out the flagstone to fit the drain in, then back fill around it with a polymeric sand to hold it in place. Then caulk the top with a matching type of caulk which will allow it to flex? Or do I really need to put two inches of concrete on either side of the drain as the instructions for other channel drains say.

Any advice would be appreciated. I called the builder who built my pool originally 14+ years ago to get a quote from him as well.

I saw that model as well and my wife really liked it. So it doesn't float out without having the concrete around it? And did you stake it down in the middle or on the outside? My problem is the flagstone will have to be chipped out quite a bit more to get that installed correctly.

Just got a quote from a PB for just under $5k to install 60 feet of the 1.5 inch channel drain. Seems like a ton of cash for something where the materials would cost me around a grand. Any thoughts on if a semi handy person can do this on there own.

That seems a little high. I would be inclined to cut the flagstone back and shove the deck-o-drain down in there ... who knows how long that would stay nice though :D

Whoa ... I just realized you said 60 feet ... that is a lot of drain. I think I had about 15 feet at my previous house that was put between an existing slab and the new pool concrete deck. No idea the cost though.

I'd rent a walk behind concrete cutter. Pop me a straight line down the flagstone side. Cut the flagstone out where you want to install the deck drain like pictured above. I'd cut it just slightly larger and when complete seal the joints with the self leveling crack sealer.

As for the coating on your deck it looks like some type of cool seal deck coating.

Todd

The stakes are on the outside of the drain and engage with a lip on the lower side of the drain. 36racin is right, just use a saw and cut a straight line. I have over 80 feet of this and it feeds into a drain at either end of the line

I think I want to go with the channel martinkennedy posted. So if that's 3 inches wide, cut out about 4 inches, fill the remaining inch with some polymeric sand to about a 1/5 of inch from the top. Let that settle and then put the self leveling caulk on top of that to seal the remaining gap? That was my thoughts on how to do it. Any other suggestions?

The plan is to do two 30 foot runs that T into into a sump pump at the far end. Then use the existing waste line from the pool to get it out to the streets and away from the backyard. This will drain about half of my backyard and drain nearly all of the water that runs off the backside of my house from the gutters. Hoping this will solve a few of my drainage issues around the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.