questions about ph and shocking

Oct 2, 2007
DE
My water looks beautiful. I have been testing and adding bleach-- about half gallon to 3/4 of a gallon nightly.

I test TA almost nightly. It went down from 90 to 80-- so I checked the ph. I really hate the ph test as I am unsure about the color-- is there another ph test that is less subjective? I like counting drops but not comparing colors. :?
I think that the color is reading high like possibly 8.0. I really hate dealing with Muriatic acid-- if I use some "ph lower" are there some additives in there that I don't want in my pool water? (Does that make sense that the ph is high and the TA is low???)

I also here of others shocking their pool once a week. Is this necessary? I haven't been doing that. I try to keep my water at FC 4ppm because my CYA is at 30.

Help! nothing tragic here-- but I want to keep things properly balanced.TIA

Blessed

Blessed- with a pool said:
Thanks--

Is the high ph and low TA a mystery? I thought that if the ph is high then the TA is high. Is that correct?

Also with the dry acid how do I add it? broadcast into the pool, into the skimmer?

Blessed

Follow the directions on the package, I'm not sure, haven't had to use it before. While the TA and PH are directly related, you can see all sorts of varying combinations. There are just too many variables that affect both numbers.

By the way, I can't tell the colors very well either. I know mine is good cause it matches the 7.5 exactly, but I have trouble with the yellow chart for the OTO. My FAS-DPD test confirmed my chlorine was a 7 but the OTO test made it seem like it was 5.... there isn't another way to measure PH that I know of....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.