Confused about the Liquidator

May 28, 2014
Oakville, ON
I just went through a very frustrating experience getting my pool water balanced. I learned more about pool water chemistry than I ever thought I would want to know. The water is now balanced and I want to keep it that way so I'm looking at going to a liquid chlorine dispenser like The Liquidator. First some basic information:

16 x 32 IG vinyl liner
Sand filter
Hayward chlorinator
Ozone generating system
Oakville, ON (Near Toronto)

I have read the numerous posts on this site and the information from the company on the Hasa Liquidator. I also watch a Youtube video that a guy from PA posted on how to install The Liquidator.

The manual from Hasa says to connect the feeder line (in) just before the pump which basically uses the pump's suction to pull the CL out of the tank and into the pump and then to the pool.

The video connected the feeder line to his old chlorinator feeder line. He capped off the other end that fed water to his chlorinator. He then connected the fill line to The Liquidator to the drain plug on his pump. I am assuming that this would have the effect of the pump pushing the water into The Liquidator and then back into the return line.

I have a few more questions:

With the connections as recommended by the manufacturer the CL is being added before the pump and filter. I was always told that was bad, that you always want to add chemicals directly in the pool, or in the case of the Chlorinator, it gets added to the return line just before it leaves my shed. I read one post that suggested that because the CL being added by The Liquidator is diluted, that this is not a problem, but it was unclear as to what concentration of bleach or liquid CL they were using. Does it matter?

To my last point, what concentration of bleach or CL is recommended.

I hope I have not posted questions that have been asked numerous times before. I did try to read as many as I could before posting.

Thanks

Joe

Whatever concentration of bleach you can get at a good price is fine.

There is no risk to the plumbing from injecting before the pump because the chlorine has already been diluted by the Liquidator and again at the point of injection.

By the by, we don't recommend using ozone with a residential pool.

Another way to go instead of the liquidator is a Stenner Peristaltic pump... Quite a few pool owners have them on here, myself included... I couldn't buy a liquidator where I live and postage costs to Australia made it too expensive, so I went with a Stenner pump and tank... :)

I just tapped into the drain on the pump basket when I installed mine. Never have had an issue since. The CL settles to the bottom of the Liquidator so you're pulling out already diluted CL into the pump, and the volume of water in comparison to CL is HUGE. No need to worry like @JasonLion mentions.

Don't let these peristaltic pump guys steer you wrong. :) The pumps are $$$, take a lot to setup correctly and when the parts on your Liquidator wear out you call HASA and they will replace them free of charge for the lifetime of the tank (tank isn't covered). I know the Liquidator isn't the latest gizmo, but it's probably one of best pool products for the money out there a pool owner can buy to make their life easier.

Don't let these peristaltic pump guys steer you wrong. :) The pumps are $$$, take a lot to setup correctly and when the parts on your Liquidator wear out you call HASA and they will replace them free of charge for the lifetime of the tank (tank isn't covered). I know the Liquidator isn't the latest gizmo, but it's probably one of best pool products for the money out there a pool owner can buy to make their life easier.

I fought with the liquidator for weeks and finally went with the Stenner. I was tired of air leaks, white ****, floats sticking, adjusting flow meter balls, needle valves, etc

Stenner hard to set up? Not really. I had to drill two holes for the Liquidator...and only used one of those with the Stenner. I bought the Stenner pump tank combo so all I had to do was hook that up to the pool return line.

The hardest part was setting up the timer...which took about 15 minutes...and that was only because I wanted it to come on multiple times during the day instead of just one or two.

The only thing I do now is open the lid, and add bottles of bleach. No checking the floats in the liquidator...or adjusting the flow meter...or losing pump prime because of air leaks.

More expensive...yes...but well worth it from my point of view.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.