Added borates: First crystal clear now back to pre borate clarity. What gives?

chuzie

May 14, 2014
Tampa
16x32 (25k) plaster (30 days since resurface)

TF-100 results:
FC=7.5
CC=0
PH=7.8
TA=100
CH=375
CYA=50
Borate=50
Temp=85
CSI=0.37

I added 17 boxes of borates 3 days ago along with 5+ gallons of acid. Within the first 24hrs I was astonished by the clarity increase in the pool. Now, the clarity has returned to pre borate levels. Don't get me wrong, my water is clear; the sparkling crystal aspect is gone though. We have had afternoon storms for the last 4 days but nothing significant that changed my water quantity.

My targets are as follows:
FC=6
pH=7.5
TA=80
CSI=-0.01

Added 2 quarts of acid this morning to take care of the pH, TA, and CSI. The FC will correct itself.

Having a huge party this Saturday and my goal is to have that water sparkling.

Thoughts?
Thanks. :cool:

Well my afternoon test shows pH, TA, and FC are back to target levels. I will perform a OCLT just to be sure, but the FC=0 makes my anticipated result somewhat obvious. FWIW- My cartridge jumps 10psi/24hrs so I have been cleaning each day. The water in the filter housing is milky white. I assume it is doing its job. Just not sure if I am dealing with a curing pool or something else.

We brushed daily for first 30 days but not now. I brush when I add chemicals and see no dust. That doesn't mean it's not there though.

Weather had been hot and sunny with afternoon storms. Appx 90 degrees OAT and 85 pool.

Seems better today now that the sun is up. Still not where I want it, but a slight improvement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Borates do not give the water more clarity. They might make it sparkle a bit due to differences of how light reflects at the water's surface, but if you have a problem with water clarity then this is likely a filtration/circulation issue, assuming the chlorine level is high enough to prevent algae growth. Also, plaster dust can cause temporary cloudiness until it is filtered out. In some pools, brushing temporarily makes the water less clear.

I think we figured it out. Been running 24/day for 5 days. It was a filtration issue. Likely stirred up residual sediment from resurface. Took some time to cycle it out. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.